Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

18xs prop question

Hi everybody, need some help with my boat setup.
    boat is a 2010 18xs with a 150 optimax.
    8 inch zlock plate 3.5" prop to pad no hole shot plate
    2 power poles
    3 group 31 batteries in the back
    im running a 22p tempest plus with 2 largeplugs and 1 open hole.
    im running 5650rpm at wot and 54-55mph

the problem is the hole shot, specially with water in livewells. The acceleration of the boat is ok but i have too much bow lift to my liking on holeshot. i just think my boat is stern heavy. I want to keep my power poles. In a tournament witth full load and livewell fulls i wont like the performance.

i have at home a 23 and 24 tempest plus but havent tried them. In fact they are for sale. I alos tried a 21 trophy plus but didnt know about the smaller hub on larger gearcase thing when i bought the prop. I tried the prop and i cant get on plane at all.(havent tried the exhaust ring and dont know if i want to run this setup, just looks goofy to me)

do you think running a 21p rev4 will do the trick for me? Or i should look into something else before buying another high dollar prop.

Thank you everyone for your help.

2. Member
    How many rpm's are you getting on hole shot.

thats a good question. i dont know

I think the 24 temptest will be too much. I can run a 24 temptest with my 225.

I would raissay the jp a little at a time and watch your rpms and ur h20 pressure

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

5. Member
    With 3 31 series AGM and 2 power poles you need to drop down thats a lot of weight.

6. Member
    That's what I was thinking maybe a 21 tempest or bravo xs but you need to know the hole shot rpm's.

Yeah i wish i could go on the lake to look at this but it just drop a foot of snow here yesterday. Maybe if the weather calm down if a few days. Or it would be done for 2016. Thats sad

Do you think i should order the exhaust ring to try my 21 trophy? Or i should go with a larger hub prop

9. Member
    Good Day Maxl. I am in Eastern Ontario. I run a 2008 TR 186 with 150 Optimax with 2 x 8' Power Poles and 3 x 31 Series batteries. 6" Jackplate running a 2 3/4" below pad with a 23P Tempest Plus with 3 med plugs, water pressure 15PSI. With full tournament load at WOT 5650 RPM I can get 57MPH most days, 55 mid summer. On takeoff I hit 3400 RPM until it grabs and starts to plane out. Like you said the downfall being when you put 40 gal of water in the livewell. I tried a few other props including the Trophy with an exhaust ring but still had blowout and easily went into rev limiter. I tried many variations in plugs on the Tempest Plus and so far my current setup is the best I could get. It is a little longer to get on plane when the livewell is full and I just have to live with it. I have been considering the New Bravo 1 XS 4 blade but trying to decide if I want to try the 23P or the 22.5P. Hope this helps.

10. Banned
    I run a 21P Tempest Plus with 3 large plugs. Great hole shot and top end at 3.5" P2P. Granted I don't have dual poles and 3x G31 batteries.

I guess i really have to try props and play with the setup. Looks like i cant really predict the way a prop will work. I found a almost new rev 4 for 200$ can. And the guy is at 30min drive from my home. It is a 19 pitch. Dont know if it will work...i heard rev4 are hard to turn props. I think it would be too small of a prop. I always had 4 bladed props on my other boats and really like them. Maybe i should try to swap my 24 tempest for a 21 tempest. Planning on going on the water in below freezing temperature on monday for a last time this year. I wont touch the current setup but i will take a look at the holeshot rpm. Or mabe i should buy the rev4 19p and try the prop on monday? What do you guys think about this?
    And thanks everybody for your help. And sorry if my english is not too good, its my second language.

12. Member
    Start with a 21 Tempest plus. Your boat is a heavy boat and you have in loaded with 240 lbs of batteries and 2 power poles, and its really under powered with a 150.

My tournament trail is 150hp max. Thats why i bought this boat. Loved the wide stance and layout of the boat plus i had a good price on it. I used to make the tournament trail with a aluminium deepv going 40mph wot. So i dont mind not going 60mph.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxl View Post
    My tournament trail is 150hp max. Thats why i bought this boat. Loved the wide stance and layout of the boat plus i had a good price on it. I used to make the tournament trail with a aluminium deepv going 40mph wot. So i dont mind not going 60mph.
    Your missing my point, That point is really heavy, it really should have been max HP with a 200. yes a 150 is very capable of pouching that boat, but prop and set is going to be key. You have thrown it a few more curves adding big batteries and PP.

15. Member
    Yes it's great boat I have a 19XS with a 225. running all 31 series AGM batteries as well and dual 12' Talons.

Yeah bought the boat with these 3 odyssey batteries almost new already installed. I added the power poles. Im sure i will find a good working prop but as you say the stern weight will always be there. I guess i will juste have to live with it.

17. Member
    Check your take off rpm's and if your not getting 3500 to 4000 when you hit the gas you need a smaller prop. If it's close to 3500 you may be able to pull all the plugs in the 22 tempest and get the rpm's you need but if not you'll have to go down in pitch as a matter of fact you might want to pull one of the plugs left in it before you launch to see if that helps. You didn't say if the trophy was blowing out but if it is you can put solid plugs in the holes to stop the blow out and if you want to test it you can tape the holes shut with duck tape and get a few test runs in before the tape blows off.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 11-25-2016 at 01:51 PM.

18. Banned
    Right around 3500 is the sweet spot for these boats. At close to 4000 I get a lot of blow out, closer to 3000 and she lugs a bit. Seeing as how OP is getting 5650 RPM at WOT I'd say the prop is fine given it's not a ProXS motor, just need to fine tune to the plugs for a better hole shot.

Allright thank you everyone. Im heading to the lake sunday and monday for two last fishing days for 2016. Will keep you updated on this.
    If someone needs a 24p tempest i have one and she is in immaculate condition

Just got back from the st lawrence river for a fishing day and have some numbers for you.

i did raise my jackplate to 3.0" p2p
    i also removed all plugs from my 22 tempest. Heres where i am:
    test drove i was alone in the boat. i had a decent hole shot this time.
    4000rpm at hole shot. 5800rpm at wot and i reached 58 mph going down the current fully trimmed! Was very good but i was alone.

i also tried a 19p rev4 plugs all closed. We were 2 in the boat. I had one hell of a holeshot. I was only reaching 45mph at 5800 but i cant go full trim or i will be more than 6000rpm.
    Livewells were empty the whole day. 3/4 tank of fuel.
    really liked the 4 blade.
    I feel like a 21p rev4 would be good. Or a 21 tempest.
    Tomorrow i am going for a last fishing day for 2016. We will be 2 guys in the boat i will keep the tempest and plugs out and will test drive with livewells. Do you think i should play with the pvs plugs?(currently all removed)

Do you guys think i can have a decent holeshot and 55mph with a 21 rev4, with 2 guys and tournament load?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast