Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help deciding on purchasing TZX 190

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to purchase my first bass boat which will most likely be a Skeeter TZX 190. I just want to get some thoughts on my on my options. Option 1: To save some money dealer has a new 2015 left over with a VMAX HPDI 150 hp w/ 2yr warranty only. I saw lot of #'s on this site with a HPDI 175 but what can I expect MPH with the HPDI 150. Option 2: Spend the extra money for 2017 with the 150 SHO. Option 3: Save a good bit of $$ on 2011 ZX 190 excellent condition w/ VMAX 150 Carburetor. I'm assuming I would burn more gas and oil with the carburetor. Any info that may help to make my choice easier I would greatly appreciate it. Just nervous I don't want to spend the money only to regret my decision. Thanks everyone!!

2. Member
    Your only regret will be is if you don't get the new boat with the SHO! Lets face it saving money and boats don't go together. I think you should get what you really want, you only go around once!

100% agree...I know I would be thinking about it and regretting not getting the SHO for the next 10 years. I probably just needed to hear it from someone else. Thanks bgibson!!

4. Member
    Your welcome! I have been there and done it. Just do it and don't look back! Enjoy life while you can. You just never know when being able to use a boat will be over.

5. Member
    I love my tzx 190. Use to have a ranger and like the boat better than my ranger Good ride in some what rough water and yes I have hpdi 175. So can't help u with speed wish I had a show maybe thing is only have change oil not add oil. Thing is what u can afford and still go fishing I'd go with option 1 or 2

6. Member
    The 150 HPDI and SHO will run almost he same speed, up to you on the cost savings and not wanting to buy oil. I have a TZX190 built in August of 2013 with one of the first 150 SHO's and it has been trouble free, I over maintain my stuff but so far I am totally happy with the package. Been on Champlain in some pretty rough stuff with it and for an 18ft boat it did really well, one of the biggest issues from the factory which was eventually figured out was they epoxied the transducer in the wrong spot and it would not register depth.

7. Member
    IMO, I'll never buy new.
    Too many low hour boats out there that someone else has already eaten a big chunk of depreciation on.

Learned today the cost of the extended warranty on the HPDI was over $1k and I would need too purchase a battery charger as well. The difference in cost is shrinking which makes me lean towards the SHO. Also, I'm glad to hear how it handled the rough water at Champlain. At one point I was considering purchasing the Trition 189 TRX because of the slightly larger deck thinking it might handle the rougher water better. I'm new at of this. This would be my 1st bass boat. I thought about buying used but I've rolled the dice once and got burnt. My outboard blew on my War Eagle after 1 1/2 years and had to repower.

9. Member
    In the famous words of William Wallace, "Do it, and let them see you do it"

Have a 16 tzx190 with 175 sho bought from pa, and it's a great boat. Came out of 03 sx190. Tzx is heavier than my old six but rides nicer in rough water. Went with the bigger motor to compensate for the weight difference. Skeeter is a good quality boat, Sho I like how it runs and great midrange. Was looking at leftovers and used when I decided to go with the 16. YES warranty is around 1500 for 3 years
    2016 Skeeter Tzx190 Yamaha 175 SHO

11. Member
    You don't need the extended warranty with a 2.6L VMAX motor. These are great motors and very dependable. The carbed version loves gas. The HPDI is a fuel sipper. The carbed motor seems to have a bit better power than the HPDI. Either setup will be an upper 50s boat, breaking 60 on the best runs. I'd get the 11 Zx 190. The ZX has a touch more features than the TZX. Its not "a fancy new boat" but saves you some good money and doesn't hurt as bad when you scratch it.

12. Member
    I'd get the 11 Zx 190. The ZX has a touch more features than the TZX. Its not "a fancy new boat" but saves you some good money and doesn't hurt as bad when you scratch it.
    Tru dat!

Thanks everyone!! I'm going to the dealer here in PA on Saturday to check out the Skeeters.

14. Member
    Option 2 or better yet a ZX190 with the 175
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

15. Member
    I get close to 59 by myself and 57 with a a partner out of my 150 HPDI.
    2019 Phoenix 819, 200 HP Mercury Pro Xs.

16. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=763387
    Good luck on your search. Just saw this post the other day!

17. Member
    I got the TZX 190 with the HDPI 175. It's pretty much a package boat deal so every accessory is entry level. The fish finders, GPS, trolling motor, even the wiring is bottom end. I've already replaced the in-dash GPS/sonar, trolling motor, jack plate w/ a Bob's Machine Shop Hydraulic & am thinking about a new trolling motor to replace the entry level Edge. If the accs. are higher end on the ZX, you'd save money in the long run. Find out how it takes fuel before you buy. I keep mine on a boat lift & fill it from jerry cans. It won't take gas unless I disconnect the vent hose from the gas tank, just burps it back out the filler neck. Thanks to the EPA & their charcoal canister. It's just too much trouble to take it off the boat lift & to the dealership where they will probably tell me to complain to the EPA.

18. Member
    That's strange. I have a 2012 with I believe the same type fuel system. I can go to the gas station put the nozzle in start filling and it will stop once it's full. Never had a back wash. Sometimes I even let it fill while I'm not watching and no problems. I like this system but as I've come to know about these boats they are all different and all have their issues!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

19. Member
    I recently made a similar choice and went with the TZX w/the 175 SHO. Prior to this I had an SX with a 150 VMAX, which was a fantastic motor. Never any issues and a great motor. Now that I've had the SHO for a week and have had it out twice I can say I'm very happy with my decision as the SHO starts like a car engine, is quiet as can be and doesn't require constantly filling an oil tank. Not that I really ever minded filling an oil tank, but it is one less thing to worry about. Bottom line, since you have a choice, its a no brainer to me to go with the 4 stroke SHO. And as stated above, you can find a gently used TZX or ZX with a SHO and save a considerable amount of $. Now with that being said, the 175 SHO that came on my boat came with 5 more years of warranty. It all depends on how well you tolerate risk as to whether or not you feel you need a warranty. But since the 150/175 SHO's haven't been out very long, if you find one, it will most likely have some warranty period remaining. Good luck with your decision.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

I'm still looking and taking my time. I've started to look at the Phoenix 618 pro and the Triton 189 trx as well. Not sure about the Triton because of Johnny Morris now owning them and their plant is moving again for the 2nd time. I really like the Skeeter but the 2017 tzx is very bare bones. I wish they had included some accessories. They could have added a few simply things like a tool holder at the bow and deck step. Also, it would be nice if the console could fit a least a 7in screen. How is 70lb TM? Has anyone upgraded their TM? The Skeeter is still at the top of my list but based on some of the suggestions I might think about purchasing a gently used one and use the savings to purchase some nice accessories. I wish the dealers offered demo rides in the spring here in eastern PA but they don't. It would help to make the decision a little easier. I'll try to get on some boats at my local lake this spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast