Thread: 20hp question?

20hp question?

I'm being drawn towards a suzuki 20hp as I need to replace my old Yamaha autolube 25 which appears to be worn out. Very attracted to the suzuki 20 because of it's fuel injection, which should make starting a breeze. My one question though, is it still a good idea to run the fuel out of the system at the end of the day? I used to do this every time with the Yam and the carbs are still sparkling clean inside, but with the fuel injection I wonder whether it would cause priming or wear issues? I hate the idea of the fuel going to sludge in the motor when it's stored. Thoughts?

2. Member
    I would not think it would be needed. Stabil and b12 chemtool keep everything I sporadically use running good

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I use a stabilizer in my fuel anyway, but do you think it would do any harm running the engine dry? If the fuel's not there it can't cause a problem with gumming up, but I wonder whether it would cause lubrication issues or anything by being run dry?

4. Member
    There will always be fuel leftover in the vapor separator. Thanks Martin

5. Member
    Thanks Martin. So will it do any harm to run the engine out of fuel?

6. Member
    No man, go for it. Over here we have Ethanol to deal with. Which is great for business! Thanks Martin

7. Banned
    The jury is still out with respect to the pros and cons of running a carbureted model dry. Some gasoline will remain in the carburetor bowls. Less gasoline remaining in the bowls is more susceptible to that gasoline evaporating completely and leaving junk behind. More gasoline remaining in the bowls make the motor less susceptible to all of the gasoline evaporating completely and leaving junk behind. Most engine makers have drain screws on the carburetor float bowls if and when someone wants to store a motor and remove all of the gasoline before doing so.

Now the DF20 Suzuki is a different kettle of fish. It is fuel injected. It uses an electric fuel pump. It is never a good idea to run an EFI model out of gasoline. Gasoline flows through the pump to lubricate and cool the pump. That pump running dry will have a shortened life.

8. Member
    Thank you Jethro. I wondered whether that might be the case.

9. Member
    Running a motor out of fuel was beneficial if it was a two stroke. A 4 stroke fuel injected motor should not be run out of fuel. It doesn't have the oil residues to worry about.

10. Member
    Thank you. I expect that is the right answer really.