Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Going to wager a "guess" that you have moisture or corrosion in the ignition switch (due to it's orientation).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Thanks, I will check that, although I have yet to have an ignition switch issue on any motor I have owned dating back to 1979 with the first 150 BlackMax. All key switches were oriented on a console at an angle similar to this one. It may be hard to tell in the pic. My boats are always maintained in a boat show ready condition and out of the weather. Inside the console is dry as toast, as no water gets behind any of the gauges, switches etc. So I had 'guessed' it was an odd ECU boot up gremlin v. a switch issue. Not isolated either, as other owners have reported a similar issue. Still no faults displayed. Otherwise a happy motor. :-) Again, thanks for taking time to weigh in.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Switch is quite different in that it does not activate the solenoid (it's actually just sending a SIGNAL to the PCM). For instance- if you were to bump the key to START while the engine was already running, the PCM sees the signal and turns the engine OFF.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Seems pretty simple to change out the switch and might be worth a try. They are pretty cheap anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12