Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chatter bait size question

I'M loaded up on 3/8oz chatter baits. Just wondering when and why you would reach a 1/4oz or 1/2oz model?

2. Member
    I fish 1/2 exclusively.
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I fish 1/2 exclusively.
    So just somewhat of a personal preference.

4. Member
    I would not throw a 1/4, to light and comes to the top to easy. I throw 1/2 almost everywhere.

I throw a 3/8 ounce about 50% of the time, a 1/2 ounce maybe 15% of the time, but use the 1/4 ounce about 35% of the time. I have been making my own vibrating jigs for several years now and, through experimenting with them, I have found that it is far easier to make the 1/4 ounce bait "hunt" than a 3/8 ounce bait. And, it's very difficult to make a 1/2 ounce bait "hunt." The reason, I think, is that the lighter weight head of the 1/4 ounce is more easily off-set by the blade and trailer than a heavier head.

Hackney did a great article on Bassmaster a week or so ago about classifying different types of bites. If you are on a feeding bite...the fish are actively feeding, then any regular bladed jig that works at the right depth will catch those fish. But, if the fish are not actively feeding and you must generate a reaction bite, (which, in my experience, is most of the time), then a bladed jig that "hunts" is what you should be throwing.

Just like Fritts and Clunn used to sort through hundreds of crankbaits to find the few that "hunted" on the retrieve, a vibrating jig that "hunts" is worth its weight in gold. I have 6 of the old, original RAD chatterbaits and 4 of them "hunt." I bought about a dozen of the Z-Man chatterbaits when they first came out and not a single one of them "hunt." That's why I started making my own.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 11-18-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Can't remember the last time I've needed to throw anything except 3/8

7. Member
    3/8oz up to 5ft, 1/2oz up to 8ft, 3/4oz up to 12. I always try to get away with the lightest size possible, especially if in heavy vegetation

I throw a 3/8 most of the time. I fish a lot of shallow water 8' or less and with the coontail, I like to get the 1/4 out cause it doesn't drag me through the weed as bad. It gives me a chance to really slow down if I need to. I'll throw 1/2 oz in the same conditions as a 3/8 or when I'm wanting to burn one. I like the heavier sizes in the bigger water. I make my own and I use them from 1/8- 1oz. Love the chatterbait! You'll always see one tied to one of my lines.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    1/4 0z. slow retrieve works real well on bedded or real shallow fish.

10. Member
    Chatterbaits have a tendency to rise up when retrieved. Therefore, I like a 1/4oz to keep it up in the water column, over grass and use a 1/2oz to keep the bait down deeper.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    Same with me

13. Member
    3/8oz the majority of the time. I'll switch to a 1/2oz to fish deeper water, or if I need to reel it fast to get bit. I rarely use 1/4oz to keep it up over the grass. I think I only have two of those.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    heavier to go deeper

15. Member
    Honestly for me it depends on depth. If I'm fishing deeper hydrilla beds in say, 15ft, then I'll go 1/2oz. Shallower and it's 3/8. You want to just be ticking the tops of the grass so whatever weight gets that done that's what i go with.

16. Member
    I almost only throw 3/8. Rarely 1/2oz
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

17. Member
    I always throw 3/8 don't like throwing anything heavier.

18. Member
    3/8 for me is as well. I've tried half ounce a few times, but don't care for the action as much. I'll adjust the the trailer to slimmer profile to get the bait deeper.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I fish almost exclusively 3/8ths. If I want to burn it up high I go with no trailer. I adjust the depth by what trailer and retrieve speed I use. For almost all spinnerbaits/chatterbaits 3/8ths is the size that “feels” right to me.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I fish 1/2 exclusively.
    Same here. Easier to keep down in water column and if I want to run shallower I just keep rod tip up and increase retrieve speed a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast