Thread: Conowingo

Conowingo

Greetings BBC. I have yet to catch a smallie all year and am going through withdrawl. I usually get up and fish the Juniata once or twice with my brother-in-law but the river so very low this year and it didn't happen. I've heard that Conowingo is a great place to fish for brown fish.

I have never fished Conowingo before (my buddy who maybe will take me as I am boatless has 2 or 3 times in the past) I was hoping for a little information if possible.

The real question is - how is the fishing right now? Are they fairly easy to figure out? Where is a good place to launch? If anyone is feeling really friendly and cares to give any pointers on places to fish (via PM is cool as well) it would be appreciated but not nessacary.

I have no problem driving 2hrs but just want to make it worth my boaters time as he would be doing me a favor to help my smallie needs.

Thanks so much.
    Matt

2. Member
    I fished election day. Caught about 20 largemouth, 2 smallmouth. between me and my 2 grandsons. Most of our day was spent near the dam.

3. Member
    I STRONGLY recommend launching at the ramp on River Rd in Delta, PA. It's just below the Holtwood dam, which is the dam at the upstream end of the Conowingo pool. You have fished the Juanita, so you know what to look for and what to do. There are times (when the current is running) that you can catch one on every cast.
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

4. Member
    Is it possible to drive a full 21' bass boat up at that part of the river?

5. Member
    Yes, easily. If you wanted to run downstream, there is a marked channel that goes across the river to the opposite bank, then downstream from there. I wouldn't run the outboard outside of the channel.

You don't really need to run to find fish. You could, for example, simply start fishing your way downstream from the ramp. There is a small creek that comes is about 1/4 mile down from the ramp, and a huge grass flat below that. You might consider fishing the deep water on the outside edge of that flat.

Of course you could also fish your way upstream from the ramp - maybe on the backside of the first island on the upstream side of the ramp (hint-hint).

You have to accept that if you are upstream from the ramp, you have to be on the lookout for rocks. Even if you are if 10 feet of water, you might encounter a 9.5 foot tall rock as big as a bus. You might want to cast toward such rocks - especially on the side that faces the current when the current is running.
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

6. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    ok ...so...I have a 16 foot OMC ROughneck Jetdrive....I am looking for some places to go into rocks for some great Smallie fishing.....i plan to try the Susquehanna River in PA this Spring....but I would love to get into some around here.....This sounds Promising!!
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

7. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    TDT - Ready to go running up in the rocks??? Jet!

Dam straight
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

warm water discharge below peach bottom
    2016 RT 188

10. Hazzard County Hillbilly unclejessie's Avatar
    WTF, I don't get an invite......I see how it is
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRatMD View Post
    TDT - Ready to go running up in the rocks??? Jet!

'95 Gambler 209
    '06 Mercury 225

11. Member
    Unfortunately we didn't make it up, maybe next year. If anyone is feeling friendly and has an open back seat sometime let me know and I'll head on up! Thanks to all those who posted information.

12. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejessie View Post
    Jessie---YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU CAN GO.....As far as below the warm water at peach -- been there done that a thousand times....wanna get into some rocks and get some smallies...

13. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Uncle Jessie - When you wanna go?? We gotta finish repairs on that boat Sunday....early start good?

Quote Originally Posted by unclejessie View Post

You don't rate .....

He wants someone that knows how to Smallie fish, thus he thought about me first.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

15. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    lmao...Tom you are a

I'm ready to go today, lets get it done!