Verado Atlas Jackplate question

OK, I'm confused with my jackplate choices for the 250 Verado pro. Dry weight is 635 lbs. If going with a bobs, that puts me on the Extreme 2 version which is built for the Verado. The atlas though has me confused. I've read on posts here that the Atlas was built "for" the verado engines but when I look at it, it states "Engines up to 300hp or 625lbs". They have a heavy duty version for engines up to 400 hp but it is significantly more expensive. Does the standard allow for installation with a 635lb VRod or does that void the warranty? I can't tell if the disclaimer means that if either of the values is true (<= 300hp or 625) or if it means both of those have to be true which for the VRod that isn't the case. Any help?

2. Member
    It would probably be best to contact Atlas to answer that question....
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The HD version is what Atlas recommends.

Standard version was originally built for the V-Rod... but that was prior to the introduction of the 350 SCI. They built the HD version after that... and recommend it for all 6 cylinder Verado models.

I've seen 350's on the standard version... and only one case of a problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    So given that information, do you know if the standard Atlas warranty is valid on the 250 Vrod? If not, I would think the best solution would be to go for the bobs which is $600 less than the atlas hd.

My 2 cents is use the HD Atlas, very robust and thick but smooth
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is a question you would have to ask the manufacturer.

Had one of the Bob's Plates in here just last week- the new version is very nice, also. Either one should work well for your application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks. I submitted a question to TH Marine about this early this week but so far no response. Will respond here if I hear back.

I would suggest having a look at the PowrTran Magnum series. http://powrtran.com/store/products/category/the-magnum/

They're 24V electric rather than hydraulic. Lighter, less maintenance, easier to install, and in my experience, much better performance.

I've got one on my boat with a 350 Verado and it lifts/lowers it effortlessly at WOT. I've got a couple friends with the Atlas on 300 Verados, and it won't lift/lower them past about 3/4 throttle.

I've been very impressed with the PowrTran jackplate and their customer service.

Waxy

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PowrTran's website lists the Maximum HP rating at 250, just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    PowrTran's website lists the Maximum HP rating at 250, just an FYI.
    There's two versions of the jackplate.

One is rated to 250HP, and the other is rated to I believe 400HP, but I'm not positive. I'm 100% sure it's rated to 350HP, as I have it installed on my boat with help from PowrTran.

I'm not sure why it's not on the website, but a quick call would definitely clear it up for anyone that's interested.

Waxy

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

12. Banned
    Get in touch with Jimmy Mason for THMARINETEAM board sponsor.

13. Member
    I never heard a word from TH marine. I went ahead and ordered the Bob's plate

14. Member
    Bobs JP all the way atlas plates are subpar at best.
    2009 24' Lake & Bay bay boat
    Yamaha f300
    21 OFX 3 blade croxton 5900@59mph

15. Member
    I run a Verado on my 521 with a bobs 6". I love it and works awesome. Remember anything over 6" will void your warranty. Go Bobs 6" and you will be very happy. Have them powder coat it for you.

16. Member
    I got the bob's extreme 4". with the already 5" of setback on the Vrod, that is plenty and it's still big enough to let me install the power pole on it vs the transom.