Question Ultrex or Fortrex for Ranger z520c in thick weeds?

The new Ultrex looks great for many applications but I'm wondering how it will do in 2 feet of water in thick weeds, pads, rice, etc? Will it cut through the weeds as well as my Fortrex 112lb?

I'd hate to upgrade ($$$) for the Ultrex then become disappointed that I can't get through nasty weeds with it like I can with my Fortrex. I guess it's a hybrid cable/electrical motor steering system?

Does anybody have experience with running the Ultrex while frog fishing for example in the jungle?

Thanks

2. Member
    I'm curious about this as well. Sometimes when I fish Guntersville, I stay in the salad.

My understanding after reading/watching all of the promo stuff on line is that the motor itself is straight off the fortrex. So if your fortrex cuts through it the Ultrex should too.

The steering assist will take away any torque steer and is supposed to give you easy steering in weeds. I haven't tested it in weeds, but the steering at speed 1 is the same as speed 10 and it stays exactly where it is pointed.

I haven't used my Ultrex a lot, maybe 6-7 hours in total, but so far it is everything it was claimed to be.

4. Member
    Anyone that's planing on buying a new Ultrex might want to checkout Overtons website. I just purchased one and got the 20% discount which was 440.00 made the price of the Ultrex 1759.99.
    Allen

2011 Ranger Z520
    2020 Mercury 4-Stroke Pro XS 250

Rebel Bass Club

http://rebelbass.webstarts.com/

Gone Fishing

5. Member
    for ranger z520s what size is everyone getting of the ultrex? thanks

randy

6. Member
    Just checked the Overton site and it does have 20% off, but they collect sales tax in any state that has a Gander Mtn location. Hoping tackle warehouse includes in their sale...

7. Member
    I got a $100 discount with a Promo code at checkout: "discount100" at WMJ Marine.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

8. Member
    Saved $540 but they collected $114 in tax. Still a good saving at Overtons.

9. Member
    I have a friend that's been running the Ultrex and said it's awesome in all areas. I just ordered my new Z520 with a new Ultrex on it. From what I've heard I would go with the Ultrex.

10. Member
    I see there are two versions.....std and the I Link. Does the I link only work if you have Humminbird? Apparantly the spot lock works on both types(?).

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    Hoping tackle warehouse includes in their sale...
    why wait? TW has a price match program. Worth while to check out.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    I see there are two versions.....std and the I Link. Does the I link only work if you have Humminbird? Apparantly the spot lock works on both types(?).
    Get the iPilot Link if you have Hummingbirds, get the iPilot if you don't and want to use just the remote control. I don't have Birds, so I got the iPilot and plan on just using the remote control features.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post

Spot lock works regardless of what depthfinder brand you use.

If you want to follow contours you will need to use lakemaster cards in addition to a HB unit.

You can save tracks and way points with I-pilot via the remote and return to them. I've not used this feature but with out being able to see these things on my map I don't know how I'd keep them straight given how many different lakes I fish.

Here a couple of links from MK with the updated i-pilot and i-pilot link, new remotes, etc.

I-pilot link,
    I-pilot,