Hydro-Tech Heads????

I am running a 2004 196 Champion with a 2004 VMAX HPDI. It is a 2.6L motor. It is horrible on the low end. I was wondering how much a new set of heads from hydro-tech would help. Anyone have any ideas? Also, any other suggestions to increase performance with out going to a complete phase kit.

2. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    the heads have the best single bolt on gain....but to realize the full potential the parts on the phase kits are matched together for the best efficiency and power .....Lots of R and D put in to the phase kits on the dyno and on the water proven....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by cpower23 View Post
    I am running a 2004 196 Champion with a 2004 VMAX HPDI. It is a 2.6L motor. It is horrible on the low end. I was wondering how much a new set of heads from hydro-tech would help. Anyone have any ideas? Also, any other suggestions to increase performance with out going to a complete phase kit.
    2.6 liter does not take to the hop ups as well as the big block on hpdis
    on a champion I would say it would not be as much as you would like to see.
    2-3 mph at best.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

4. Member
    I have a 01 196, it had a 2.6 200 yamaha with ph 2 kit. Dont waste your money on a ph kit with it on that boat. Get a 3 liter yamaha , then get a ph kit. Thats what i did. BIG difference!!!

5. Member
    I have a sport boat, but have learned much from the knowledgeable members on this site that I have used. I'm interested in the HydroTec heads for my 2005 300 HPDI. I'm located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and the best gas I have "reasonable" access to is 90 octane, non-e. I have a set of CC reeds in place, but don't want to pull the head for a tuner. Reliability and performance are my 2 priorities. Would I need an octane booster added at every fill-up? I'll test my existing compression when a bit warmer, but the engine is healthy and well maintained. Let's assume I have a consistent 120 psi, what would the cut heads raise the psi to? Would I be entering into a space that I would regret at a later time? Thanks for you input
    -John

6. Member
    From my experience with the 300, if you only have 90 available I would not get heads. Fresh 91-92 would be on the edge IMHO. I am running 90 non e in my 3.1 BUT the compression is only 120 with H/T heads. I believe the pistons they use to build these engines are on the high side of the CC range in the chamber so the give a little bit lower compression. Give Mat or Wayne a call they will be of more help than I ever could and may have something new on these 300's from 10+ years ago when I messed with them. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

7. Member
    CJ, I talked to John at HT and said they could do a more conservative cut on my heads given the limit of 90 octane. Is this what you had done? 120 seems a bit low for "cut" heads. Also, was it worth it for your boat? Thanks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
    CJ, I talked to John at HT and said they could do a more conservative cut on my heads given the limit of 90 octane. Is this what you had done? 120 seems a bit low for "cut" heads. Also, was it worth it for your boat? Thanks
    No, I had them build me a 250 3.1l power head. Did not have the extra cash for their rec heads when they built it so they used the 250 v max heads. Then I put their rec heads on. Like I said I believe the pistons they use are on the "loose side" and give a little lower compression than stock pistons. Yes it was defiantly worth it. I am putting a set of heads on a 300hpdi in a couple of months when the snow goes away. I'll know then what we will end up with. If it is 130+ the owner will have to be careful with fuel. If I wasn't planning on a sho I would have them recut my heads to match the pistons but I like not having to worry about fuel in Canada.cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Member
    If your just looking for a little more low end try a 4 blade prop or have your 3 blade drilled for extra PVS venting.

10. Member
    I have a 3 blade Tempest 23P. It's the A45 version, light weight and larger diameter, and faster than Speed Racer. Just can't bring myself to put that on the shelf