Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer vibration - 2011 Z520

I have a slight trailer vibration at approx. 64 MPH - 70 MPH. Carlisle tires are brand new with correct tire pressure, balanced, and per my dealer there is no sign of axle or spindle issues and/or damage. There's no vibration at any speed when driving my vehicle (F 150) without towing. Also, based on the measurements and math my drop/ball is about a 1/4" high, and then will get closer to level when hooked to trailer. Vibration seems to be on the right side.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

Tire out of round some where

3. Member
    Could be a warped wheel or as stated tire out of round. It could have slung a weight and if who ever installed the tires used a lot of (snot) lubricant when mount the tires (if you have brakes on your trailer) the tires could be slipping on the rim when the brakes are applied on the trailer thus causing the tires to be out of balance.
    Rocket

4. Member
    [QUOTE=driving my vehicle (F 150) without towing.[/QUOTE]

What year and configuration F150? If it is a crew cab with 6.5 foot bed they have had problems with vibrations in the drive-line when loaded with either weight in the bed or a trailer hooked up.

5. Member
    F150 is a 2010 Super crew cab and 5.5ft bed

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    My F150 has a slight drivetrain vibration at 50-55 mph while towing. How do I know its drive train???? Let off the gas while vibration is there and it goes away. All U-joints have been replaced as has carrier bearing and trans output bearing. Drive shafts are straight and balanced also. I just deal with it.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Tires balanced or road force balanced. ? Road force will show any tire or wheel runout issues
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

8. Member
    Standard tire balanced.

9. Member
    When you let off the gas are you still in the 50 - 55 mph range, or does it drop below and then the vibration goes away?

10. Member
    Broken bead in a tire? I had similar symptoms and used the spare to replace each tire until I found the bad one.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

11. Member
    Had same issue; 2015 F150 4x4 pulling a 2016 Ranger520c. No truck vibration, but when towing Ranger, vibration started at 67mph. Followed some previous post and had tires Road Force Balanced. No more vibration.

12. Member
    Check with the trailer department at Ranger. I bet you have a tire balance problem if you have the traditional external weight balance system. At least that is what they told me and discount tire told me the same. I would also be suspect of a bad tire as well. Chinese made tires have quality issues.

13. Banned
    Can someone explain Road Force Balance.?

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I'd first try pulling the trailer with a different vehicle. That will tell you if the problem is with the truck or trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Can someone explain Road Force Balance.?
    A roller is pressed against the tire to simulate the weight of a vehicle and then the tire is turned. It measures tire stiffness as it turns looking for places where the tire flexes more or less. Sometimes this can be compensated for by rotating the tire on the rim.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

16. Banned
    OK thanks, I always thought that was Speed Balance,havent seen one of them in years.

If the R1h - road force is to high the machine measures the tire then the wheel. Then you dismount the tire and rotate so the high spot of the tire matches the low spot of the wheel. If one or the other is too high the machine will suggest a wheel or tire be replaced
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

18. Member
    Good suggestions from everyone might swap both right side with left side see if vibrations follow that. Then you can work out which tire it is. I had a Carlise that was out of round had to replace it.

19. Member
    Thanks for the recent replies! Good info

I have the same problem with the boat and truck shown in my sig. It did wear the inside of the port tire on a 2000 mile trip. I had to replace the tire but don't know if the vibration is still there because I have not taken the boat out of town since replacing the tire. However, my trailer is bent from an accident so I thought that caused the vibration. I am taking the trailer to a frame shop next week so I will test for the vibration after it is straightened. After reading this post, I am concerned that the vibration may not be related to the damaged trailer.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast