Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I have the same problem with the boat and truck shown in my sig. It did wear the inside of the port tire on a 2000 mile trip. I had to replace the tire but don't know if the vibration is still there because I have not taken the boat out of town since replacing the tire. However, my trailer is bent from an accident so I thought that caused the vibration. I am taking the trailer to a frame shop next week so I will test for the vibration after it is straightened. After reading this post, I am concerned that the vibration may not be related to the damaged trailer.
    Wearing the inside of a tire may very well be related to the damage, but it could be from a loose bearing. Jack that side up and feel it to see if there is too much play.

You can do some measuring to see what's going on with a string from the tongue to a point on the axle on each side. You don't really care how far it is, just that is very, very close to the same distance.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

2. Member
    Just spoke with a owner of a local automotive shop that does Road Force balancing. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can get over there and see if this works out. The plus side is the owner has a boat and camper so he understood my language, and he seemed hopeful based on what I described that this could be resolved with a road force balance.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Wearing the inside of a tire may very well be related to the damage, but it could be from a loose bearing. Jack that side up and feel it to see if there is too much play.

You can do some measuring to see what's going on with a string from the tongue to a point on the axle on each side. You don't really care how far it is, just that is very, very close to the same distance.
    Thanks for the tip. I did have about 1/8 movement in the bearing so I adjusted both wheels. I tried to measure the axle alignment to the frame by tying a loop in 50 lb braid ( wanted something that would not stretch) and attached to the ball which was in the tongue. I stretched the braid to each side of the axle while it swiveled around the ball. I made a different color mark on the line representing the position of the axle. The side with the problem tire was about 1/4 inch closer to the front of the trailer than the other side. I don't know if this is significant and don't feel good about the accuracy of the measurement. I did my best but it was hard to get it into position and mark the cord. I have an appointment on the 27th with a frame shop, I am interested to see how they measure the axle alignment after straightening the frame. I also found a shop that can do the road force balancing so if I still have the vibration after the other work is completed, I will have that done. Thanks again for the advice.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Hope this may help someone. I have been fighting a bad vibration in my trailer for my 2014 FX21 for about a year and a half. Similar to other posts, bad vibration between 65 and 75, especially going up grade. Took my truck to GMC thinking it was the transmission. They rode with me in it and thought the same. Put new transmission in, same problem. Put 4 new tires on, balanced by the dealer. Same problem. Called the trailer manufacturer, it's still in warranty, and they put 2 new axles on it. That helped some, but problem was still there. Finally, I read about the road force balance and took it to a very knowledgeable dealer to get a road force balance. He put it on the machine and they were very much out of balance. After he finished, problem solved. This is the very short version of my story, as you can imagine. My point is, just because your tire dealer did a regular balance, don't think that eliminates the balance issue. Find a good dealer that road force balances and give that a try. I'm sure it won't work for everyone, but my vibration fooled some good mechanics over something they never even mentioned I should try. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12