250 2016 Verado keeps dying

After most runs, when I pull it back to neutral my engine dies. I had hoped it would be a simple idle adjustment but that was not the case. The computer shows a demand on the hotfoot when it should not be. It also revs from 600-1100 when idling. The tech called Merc and got some possible solutions: someone during setup messed with the hot foot, the hot foot is bad, or that is an issue with the motor. It goes back to the tech on Thursday to see if he can find out more and maybe fix the issue.

Had similar issues, mine was hot foot position sensor. We diagnosed it using hand throttle. Never did it during hand but would do it on foot. Also let them set the limits with laptop
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Would be a good idea to start by reconfiguring the helm and controls- then, if the problem persists, try as suggested above (see if the problem persists with the hotfoot disabled).

Could also (potentially) be a problem in the ETC.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The problem was the hotfoot. It wasn't set correctly at the factory. It had a constant demand. Once we broke the lock screw loose and go the demand back to 0 where it belongs the problem was solved. Merc wanted to send a new hot foot but the tech talked them into letting him adjust it. He just got himself a new customer and good word of mouth from me. I had him go ahead and service the engine (oil, filter, lower unit, fuel filter, etc.). I have already made an appointment to have it serviced next fall.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor