Thread: Fuel tank OUT!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    Tracker Should do away with those big tanks and make a nice built in cooler... Mine is 17 gal i think and i run the crap out of my flashed 75hp and i still rarely burn more than 6 gallons a day
    I could be wrong, but your 08 should have a 19 or 20gal tank. Anyway you know what I've been dealing with a 21gal with a 60hp.
    Just think of the weight advantage with on 6gal.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

2. Member
    21 gallons with that 4 stroke would last 2 years
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    21 gallons with that 4 stroke would last 2 years
    Darn near. 6 gal will be right for me anyway. I'll get 2 or 3 trips out of it.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Member
    Great project!! I've got a 2010 190 tx with a 115 Opti and I have often thought about downsizing the gas tank too. You're going to gain a ton of room back there for all kinds of cool upgrades. I'm going to plan out a remodel project for my Tracker in a few summers from now which will include composite casting decks. Posting pics of your project like your doing is great for us to following along to witness the teardown and buildup process.

Quote Originally Posted by gotlimit? View Post
    Great project!! I've got a 2010 190 tx with a 115 Opti and I have often thought about downsizing the gas tank too. You're going to gain a ton of room back there for all kinds of cool upgrades. I'm going to plan out a remodel project for my Tracker in a few summers from now which will include composite casting decks. Posting pics of your project like your doing is great for us to following along to witness the teardown and buildup process.
    I will post more pics. Between the projects on the house and projects on the boat this won't be anything done soon it's a long term winter project. but I eventually plan on doing the front decks and cockpit floor and all aluminum what they painted decking we'll see it might be carpet. The reason for the aluminum floor will be three-quarter inch square tubing with a 5052 on top for decking. I know that will be actually lighter than the wood is in the boat. I want to upgrade to a 75 hp. And I'm trying to lighten the boat up as much as possible so I can add power poles and not have it sitting down in the back .
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 11-06-2016 at 06:47 PM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Member
    You will love it when you are done, great job

Quote Originally Posted by Yakalong View Post
    You will love it when you are done, great job

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

8. Banned
    Heck of a winter project and winter hasn't started yet

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Heck of a winter project and winter hasn't started yet
    Yea, but my frustration with that fuel tank, more or less put me into winter. Lol

Iam just going to take my time. And when done hopefully she'll be close to what I want. Custom build is the only way to do that. But Iam going to try

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Member
    So awesome. In hind site, how hard would you rate getting it out?
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

Quote Originally Posted by Enskyte View Post
    So awesome. In hind site, how hard would you rate getting it out?
    Wasn't hard at all. Just a drill with a bit to dril the rivets out. On the livewell hatch frame. Un-bolt the center cross brace, and the back bilge hatch will come out with it. The worst part is the carpet. Each individual piece was carpeted before installed. So you will have to take the rivets out of the back hatch from the center cross brace if you are going to re-carpeted that portion. Your not getting to the live well stuff without taking all the carpet off the back of the deck. So I would say the worst part of the whole job will be recarpeting. Depending on how much tank goes back into the splash well where your fuel port is. You may not have to take the live well out. My tank was only about an inch and a half away from the live well with hoses in between so I could not push it forward enough to get it to turn up out of the splash well. Putting everything back in would take me probably an hour. As far as the decking part and live well. I wanted to use a portable tank for the fuel. So I can remove it to be drained and cleaned when I want. But I'm going to try to find a small 6 gallon fixed tank that I can actually put my sending unit for the fuel gauge back in. If not it will be just a regular 6 gallon portable tank like you buy at Walmart. And I'm going to put the VT-2 Live well vents in the bilge hatch for venting.
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 11-07-2016 at 09:11 AM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

My boat is the TX version, 83" beam. I would say the TXW models with alittle longer length and width. That has a slightly smaller tank would probably not have to take the live well out.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Ok, question.
    The guys that have removed carpet from aluminum decks, what got the glue off? Kleen Strip or something like that. What every Tracker used to put the carpet on with is some strong stuff. Most of the backing from the carpet stays with the glue. Not worried about chemicals. Just want something to melt this crap, and wipe off.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

14. Member
    I used Goof Off Gel and it worked good for me but the carpet on a Tin boat is much harder than a fiberglass boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Ok, question.
    The guys that have removed carpet from aluminum decks, what got the glue off? Kleen Strip or something like that. What every Tracker used to put the carpet on with is some strong stuff. Most of the backing from the carpet stays with the glue. Not worried about chemicals. Just want something to melt this crap, and wipe off.
    Beg, borrow, buy an oscillating tool with a scraper blade. Get under the carlet with the blade and it comes off easily and might even come off in one piece for a template for cutting the new. You will not believe all the things an oscillating tool will do with the different attachments. They are so easy to use. It will sand and remove and cut almost anything. Then like someone said use Goof Off to take the rest of the old glue off the aluminum. That's what I did on my Cherokee aluminum lids. Recarpeting the lids is a nasty job. Get vinyl painters gloves and a box cutter with many blades and some spirits to remove the stuff from where you don't want it. Weldwood Contact Cement at Home Depot or Lowes is good glue.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Great idea Panama. I have a Ryobi oscillating tool. I'll give that a shot. And yes it's much harder getting it off the tin then it is fiberglass for some reason. Thanks guys

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

17. Member
    Nice project Glenn. This is exactly what I would have liked to done if I had kept my boat. I looked for a 10-12 gallon tank, but never found one I was willing to spend that much on. I just never got the smaller tin with a fuel efficient motor and a Peterbilt sized tank logic.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Nice project Glenn. This is exactly what I would have liked to done if I had kept my boat. I looked for a 10-12 gallon tank, but never found one I was willing to spend that much on. I just never got the smaller tin with a fuel efficient motor and a Peterbilt sized tank logic.
    Lol, Me either. haven't done much more than you see in those pics already. But I have got my kitchen done new appliances cabinets new tile and trim. So doing it all with cash. I'm done until after Christmas. So maybe I'll get some work done on the boat between now in the new year. After that we're going into the living room new trim and carpet and paint is all that is in store for that room. But I'm hoping to be on the water again with the boat done by late spring. Excited, I can run the little tank I have it's all hooked up motor runs really good on it. I'll be able to get my two trolling battery , Into in along the live well with the tank on the other end. Cranking battery on the far side turn long ways. Leaving me almost a 2'Lx1'w hole back there. where power pumps will go and a big charger.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I wasn't as kind and gentle with my gas tank when I removed it to make room for batteries.

I cut it up in place with a jig saw, hand saw and dremel tool. Did not remove the deck or livewell or compartment door.

I used to have 5 group 27 batteries in there when I fished electric only waters and then removed one of the batteries for the portable gas tank when I could use the gas motor--36V bow motor. Have a three bank battery charger in there too.
    I have since changed to a 24V bow motor and now keep the gas tank in place with three group 27 batteries and one group 29 battery.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 11-19-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I was't as kind and gentle with my gas tank when I removed it to make room for batteries.

I cut it up in place with a jig saw, hand saw and dremel tool. Did not remove the deck or livewell or compartment door.

I used to have 5 group 27 batteries in there when I fished electric only waters and then removed one of the batteries for the portable gas tank when I could use the gas motor--36V bow motor. Have a three bank battery charger in there too.
    I have since changed to a 24V bow motor and now keep the gas tank in place with three group 27 batteries and one group 29 battery.
    Wow that was some setup. As of right now I have a 24v TM with group 27 and 1 group 24 for cranking. Now I got a wild hair up you know where. And looking into gutting this thing out. If I can get my hands on a tiller handle. It will have a massive deck from front to 3/4s ways back.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast