Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I think there will still be plenty of lift. I forget the measurment, but I want to say it's over 50" from pad to prop. When I moved my
    2.5 2" closer it didn't lose any lift, just better low speed handling and manners. 2.5 liter at 12" felt very similar to 3 liter at 8.5". I gained speed coming in, which is why if I had an extra 1500 laying around I wanted to try less setback. On the other hand I will be able to move batteries forward quite cheaply.

The end of pad/lip is completely in front of gas tank. So moving the batteries from a foot+ behind the pad to 1 foot+ in front of pad may do the trick.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    There are so many variables with these boats that I can no longer state one definitive answer for any given set up on any given boat model. If that makes sense. When I had the 2+2 with the 1996 225 ProMax it did everything so well it was unbelievable and the most fun to drive. With the 250XS/1.75 gears it was very easy to drive in the upper 80's with little steering input 30P bravo or 30P XOB.

I went to the 2 seat Pro same 250XS and it felt like a night and day difference to me initially. The bow plowed more with the 30P XOB til I learned to lay on the trim til it freed up then backed down. The Pro seems to need more attentiondriving it than did the 2+2. I studied weight plaement in comparison to the 2+2 with the driver more forward BUT 3 heavy batteries in the rear vs the driver back further on the Pro BUT 2 heavy batteries up front.

On the 2+2 I carried a bit more of my gear in the rear to offset myself and a partner (in my mind) vs carrying everything of mine in the front on the Pro with the exception of my tool box (10#) and spare prop (15#) in a rear compartment and a partners tackle.

One thing I did notice immediately was the air flow was different in both models. The 2+2 the air movement was going aft evidenced by my kill switch lanyard and hat which I used to place over the shifter and it stayed there. The first time I did that on the Pro it flew right off the shifter forward and out the boat. The lanyard pulls forward and up enough to release the kill switch till I learned to sit on the slack so it does not pull free. Not a fun feeling at 80+

I was going to comment on Woody's "light load of gear" up front in his explanation of why he thinks his bow flys so easily til I added up his stuff (batts 120+/-, rods, tackle approx 149#) up front in comparison to what I have in my front. If I add up my tackle up front with the battery (32# lithium) and only account for as many rods as he carries then I'm at 96#. However, I carry 23 rods up front, but for comparison I only used his 10 or 12 number to try to compare apples to apples. I weighed a handful of my rods one day and 9 set ups equals 10#.

I've got 102# of gear and tackle not counting any batteries, oil, spare line spools, ropes, save phace shield, and bag of sapre parts and rags (and a roll of crap paper!)

Oh and with this new 300/1.62 gears and the same stuff moved around to run solo as i did in my 250XS/1.75's I cannot balance this boat out now without adding another 50# of lead to the passenger side or I'm leaning so hard right I have a hard time driving it no matter how I trim. That really has me confused! Is it the torq of the motor or the 28P prop compared to the 30P props??
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    I would think if anything, you would have less of that with a 28 vs 30 pitch prop. I'm very interested to hear other opinions on this.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    There are so many variables with these boats that I can no longer state one definitive answer for any given set up on any given boat model. If that makes sense. When I had the 2+2 with the 1996 225 ProMax it did everything so well it was unbelievable and the most fun to drive. With the 250XS/1.75 gears it was very easy to drive in the upper 80's with little steering input 30P bravo or 30P XOB.

I went to the 2 seat Pro same 250XS and it felt like a night and day difference to me initially. The bow plowed more with the 30P XOB til I learned to lay on the trim til it freed up then backed down. The Pro seems to need more attentiondriving it than did the 2+2. I studied weight plaement in comparison to the 2+2 with the driver more forward BUT 3 heavy batteries in the rear vs the driver back further on the Pro BUT 2 heavy batteries up front.

On the 2+2 I carried a bit more of my gear in the rear to offset myself and a partner (in my mind) vs carrying everything of mine in the front on the Pro with the exception of my tool box (10#) and spare prop (15#) in a rear compartment and a partners tackle.

One thing I did notice immediately was the air flow was different in both models. The 2+2 the air movement was going aft evidenced by my kill switch lanyard and hat which I used to place over the shifter and it stayed there. The first time I did that on the Pro it flew right off the shifter forward and out the boat. The lanyard pulls forward and up enough to release the kill switch till I learned to sit on the slack so it does not pull free. Not a fun feeling at 80+

I was going to comment on Woody's "light load of gear" up front in his explanation of why he thinks his bow flys so easily til I added up his stuff (batts 120+/-, rods, tackle approx 149#) up front in comparison to what I have in my front. If I add up my tackle up front with the battery (32# lithium) and only account for as many rods as he carries then I'm at 96#. However, I carry 23 rods up front, but for comparison I only used his 10 or 12 number to try to compare apples to apples. I weighed a handful of my rods one day and 9 set ups equals 10#.

I've got 102# of gear and tackle not counting any batteries, oil, spare line spools, ropes, save phace shield, and bag of sapre parts and rags (and a roll of crap paper!)

Oh and with this new 300/1.62 gears and the same stuff moved around to run solo as i did in my 250XS/1.75's I cannot balance this boat out now without adding another 50# of lead to the passenger side or I'm leaning so hard right I have a hard time driving it no matter how I trim. That really has me confused! Is it the torq of the motor or the 28P prop compared to the 30P props??
    I agree. It doesn't matter what prop I'm running. 29 Hydro, 28 promax, 28 Bravo, above 93 even with the ballast in front of passenger seat, my boat wants to lift the left front just enough to get your attention. Do you think it would help if I put ballast in compartment upward toward troller? The reason I don't have any more weight is because I don't have anymore. Got every lure I own in my boat. LOL I'm a jig fisher 90% of time. I'm either a hero or zero if I can't catch em on a jig. LOL Makes it difficult to let her eat for a good run when she running on a rail at 93 and then you want to max it out and post a number and every bump of the trim it keeps climbing but feel the left front wanting to rise on you. It appears that weight don't affect the speed of these boats to much so I may just put some weight up front and see how she fairs. Its an awesome rig and the engine is telling me to turn it loose but the boat is say easy peasy. LOl I always flew my 20xd/300xs bullet like a kite. Having to learn what this Ally wants. Its close but when I get ballast in the right places, I will let it go. Any suggestions/opinions are gratefully welcome. See Ya, Woody

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    I would think if anything, you would have less of that with a 28 vs 30 pitch prop. I'm very interested to hear other opinions on this.
    I run a shot bag in front of my storage compartment on the front deck. I move it from side to side as I run solo or with a passenger. Some loads I move it dead center or just take it out but it is a must have solo to air it out!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

6. Member
    Woody. Picture looks grear.

Don't be afraid to add weight on the left side and like Triton said even with us forward seating 2+2 weight forward is not a problem. These boats are much more tolerant in my opinion of too much weight on the left side and not so tolerant of too much weight on right side.

I run my two bags of lead a little forward, one under the passenger console and in the passenger seat. Having 1 or 2 skis in the center compartment doesn't seem to hurt it one bit.

7. Member
    Woody, I haven't been able to get mine running on a rail yet solo to put any kind of power to it. One time with my wife right after the motor seemed to "wake up" it was balanced and I was about to hit 90 but ran out of room. I actually didn't know I was going that fast till my wife told me when we stopped. So that told me I need a lot more weight passenger side solo to get it to level out.

So my question still remains why I need so much more ballast port side than I did with the 250??
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    I agree bob but I'm out of ideas
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    Tim (tb21) told me one time he ain't puttin nothing in his boat for ballast if it's not fishing tackle. No sense carrying around stuff that's useless!! I've given that a lot of thought and would tend to agree but like woody I have no more tackle to put on the port side!! One morning at hartwell this past September I had a good opportunity to open it up but the lean was so bad the more I trimmed I kept rocking back and forth trying to level it out. I had everything in the boat on the port side I could move so I stopped and pulled out all 23 rods and laid them on the front port side deck and it got a little better but still leaning right. So I know for sure I need more ballast. This boat/motor wants to roll I can feel it. That 89+ run that time with my wife I had so much more trim and throttle left I just know it's a mid 90's boat.
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 11-29-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    Tim (tb21) told me one time he ain't puttin nothing in his boat for ballast if it's not fishing tackle. No sense carrying around stuff that's useless!! I've given that a lot of thought and would tend to agree but like woody I have no more tackle to put on the port side!! One morning at hartwell this past September I had a good opportunity to open it up but the lean was so bad the more I trimmed I kept rocking back and forth trying to level it out. I had everything in the boat on the port side I could move so I stopped and pulled out all 23 rods and laid them on the front port side deck and it got a little better but still leaning left. So I know for sure I need more ballast. This boat/motor wants to roll I can feel it. That 89+ run that time with my wife I had so much more trim and throttle left I just know it's a mid 90's boat.
    Is it possible to move your cranking or trolling battery left? battery charger?

11. BBC SPONSOR
    I could balance my boat with 40lbs of shot when I had lead batteries and a 3 bank minn kota charger in the front port locker. When I switched to lithiums, I dropped 60lbs from the bow and I removed the minn kota charger and then installed the DC charger on the shelf in the rear port locker along with a Noco 2 bank charger.

It now takes a spare prop, all my tackle, and 75lbs of ballast to balance my boat. I can drive it to 93 unbalanced pretty easy but its a little hairy at times.

I do not think I will lose anything by removing the wedges as I don't count that as setback....I do think the wedges drive the bow down, I expect removing them will require less trim initially to get the bow up.

And now that I have a decent jackplate, I might be more inclined to lower the plate for holeshot.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

12. Member
    However thick the wedges are at the top is how much set back they add. Regardless of the wedge taper or the degree of the transom, the engine hangs plumb from the top when the boat pad and prop are level.

I'm sure everyone's set up may produce different results but I always have a better hole shot with my prop over pad. Always, whether loaded with extra people or not.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I could balance my boat with 40lbs of shot when I had lead batteries and a 3 bank minn kota charger in the front port locker. When I switched to lithiums, I dropped 60lbs from the bow and I removed the minn kota charger and then installed the DC charger on the shelf in the rear port locker along with a Noco 2 bank charger.

It now takes a spare prop, all my tackle, and 75lbs of ballast to balance my boat. I can drive it to 93 unbalanced pretty easy but its a little hairy at times.

I do not think I will lose anything by removing the wedges as I don't count that as setback....I do think the wedges drive the bow down, I expect removing them will require less trim initially to get the bow up.

And now that I have a decent jackplate, I might be more inclined to lower the plate for holeshot.
    Where is your cranking battery? Wonder if you could move anything else to the outside of the port rear locker.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSmile View Post
    Where is your cranking battery? Wonder if you could move anything else to the outside of the port rear locker.
    My cranking battery (80lb PM1) is in the port locker directly behind the passenger seat.

I have about 30 rods in the boat but have no interest in moving them from Stbd locker or front middle.

Anything that has weight is on the port side of my boat, I do keep all of my tackle in the front as I fish first.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    However thick the wedges are at the top is how much set back they add. Regardless of the wedge taper or the degree of the transom, the engine hangs plumb from the top when the boat pad and prop are level.

I'm sure everyone's set up may produce different results but I always have a better hole shot with my prop over pad. Always, whether loaded with extra people or not.
    It was terribly rough yesterday so I dropped by plate to 1/4 below and the nose shot straight up and I lost 1.5 seconds on holeshot. Tried even with the pad and it was still slow so went back to 3/8" above and it is a huge difference.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Is it possible to move your cranking or trolling battery left? battery charger?
    My 80# PM-1 is in the port side rear compartment in the very front. The charger is there also.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. Member
    Is there room in front right compartment to move your lithium battery to passenger side?

18. Member
    The BasSports all have a really well designed battery compartment built in the center locker area.

19. Member
    Yes I have seen it, great design. But is was centered for crazy heavy lead acids. Light lithiums could be anywhere....

20. Member
    Tim (tb21) told me one time he ain't puttin nothing in his boat for ballast if it's not fishing tackle. No sense carrying around stuff that's useless!! I've given that a lot of thought and would tend to agree but like woody I have no more tackle to put on the port side!! One morning at hartwell this past September I had a good opportunity to open it up but the lean was so bad the more I trimmed I kept rocking back and forth trying to level it out. I had everything in the boat on the port side I could move so I stopped and pulled out all 23 rods and laid them on the front port side deck and it got a little better but still leaning right. So I know for sure I need more ballast. This boat/motor wants to roll I can feel it. That 89+ run that time with my wife I had so much more trim and throttle left I just know it's a mid 90's boat.
    Craig,
    Tim weighs a buck 65 and he can balance his boat by removing his wallet and phone and throwing them in the port side glove box his skills don't hurt either.

I'm curious to know the prop and the engine height you were at???

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast