Thread: BASS-HAWK Boats

BASS-HAWK Boats

I have a 1986 Bass-Hawk 17 footer with a 1986 Johnson GT150. What is the best setup for this boat, like pad to prop, which prop is best etc.

Steven Eversole, KY
    BLAZER 202 PRO V / MARINER 225 SUPER MAG

Re: BASS-HAWK Boats (basshawk17)

I had an 84 model with a 150 merc. Sorry I dont remember the prop to pad. Did have a 1" wedge installed at the factory. It was one of the faster boats in the area at the time. Ran a turbo lightning prop. Sold the boat and the person still uses it today. I had to replace the transom in about 1990. Had the cap off but I dont remember how much area there would be for a recessed tray. Can you take a peek thru the rod box? Kinda wish I would have kept the boat for crappie tournaments.

3. Member

Re: BASS-HAWK Boats (brushnjigs)

I have tried to look through the rod box, can't see much. I run my hand up there through the right storage box. It feels like there is enough room. But if I'm wrong there would be a big hole in the deck.

Steven Eversole, KY

does yours have a foam-filled bow? mine does, so i can't tell how far forward a tray could go. you'll be safe if you keep it away from the bow's end... but where's the fun in that .

as for my boat's setup, i've never really tinkered with it much. it has a 23p shooter on it, at around 4.5"below the pad, and performs well enough. i'm going to raise it the next time i'm out, but that's probably next year

5. Member

Re: BASS-HAWK Boats (chartreuse)

Ya mine has foam in it too. Hard to tell. I'm afraid to do without knowing the depth for sure.

Steven Eversole, KY

have you seen this, the pan is only 4.5 inches deep. http://www.trollwell.com/shop/page/2?shop_param= Your deck is probably almost an inch thick so you only need about 3.5 inches under the deck. If your trolling motor pedal is already screwed to the deck, drill one of the holes out big enough for a wire hanger or something and use that to measure the depth.
    Then if its not deep eough fill the hole back in with epoxy and put the screw back in.

7. Member

Re: BASS-HAWK Boats (sandbarDan)

Never thought of that. Will need to sharpen it on the end so it will go through the foam. Even though its not screwed down can still do it.

Steven Eversole, KY

Like to install one on mine as well. Let me know if we can make one work!!

9. Member

Re: (Grousec)

Let u know............

Steven Eversole, KY

steering

I have a 1988 Bass Hawk that I am fixing up. The steering is very very very tight until it gets up on plane, Is this normal for Bass Hawks? when I got the boat I had a new cable put on because the old one was locked up.

Basshawksc, how's the fix up coming?

update on the hawk

Its going slower then I want for 2 reasons, 1- I keep it at my mother in laws and 2- money. I fixed the tight steering by removing all the grease on the "ram rod" and putting a thin coat of 3 in 1 oil. She steers like a dream now. I have drilled out all the broken hinges on the storage boxes and re-pop riveted them back, I have also removed the lower seats and replaced all the rotten wood with new wood. I was able to save the foam and seat fabric and re use it. Replaced all the toggle switches the did not work and all the boots on all the switches. I just removed my lowrance 98X and replaced it with a lowrance elite 5DSI. Next on the list is to repaint the trailer, replace the wrench, wheel jack and redo the carpet on the bumpers. That will be a one day project. As for the boat I am wanting to put the 98X at the bow, which should only take a couple of hours. Fix repair any fiber glass cracks, replace the carpet and the seat poles and some gel coat repair, I am also wanting to replace the instrument panel with a carbon fiber just give it a more updated look.. I will need the transom to be replaced in the next 4-5 years. Which is out of my skill set do to the lack of knowledge and tools. I am still trying to figure out the best method for the gel coat repair. I will post pictures in the next couple of weeks.

Well, it has been slow going for me too. Just fix a few things at a time and I have been fishing out of mine, just cosmetic things that I am working on.

I will have mine in the water next weekend. The problem I have is I want the boat to be perfect. You know a show piece, so when your launching the boat people say "great boat" but your right one thing at a time. Do you have pictures of your boat?

Here is one pic of my Bass Hawk.BassHawk.jpg

that is very similar to my boat. I will have pictures to post early next week.

17. Member
    Not many of these around. I have a 196xl. Even a factory deck extension, though im replacing with an aluminum one I think.

heck I tried to upload my picture but bbc is having issues