Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    The spindle taper should be lightly coated with anti-sieze prior to installation. Same with the castle nut/cotter pin.

2. Member
    The calipers actuate on the rotor. The rotor is stationary. you remove the two bolts that hold the caliper in place and rest them on something (dont undo the brake line). Then you can remove the hub and the rotor. The new one will have the hub and rotor put it back on and then rebolt your caliper with the two bolts. I didn't take photos but I bet it becomes clear once you get the tire off.

Quote Originally Posted by cdc2010 View Post
    The brakes on the rotors have to connect to something that actuates them, right? I wasn't sure how that would go but maybe it is more clear once you have the wheel off and are looking at it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rivertrail View Post
    The calipers actuate on the rotor. The rotor is stationary. you remove the two bolts that hold the caliper in place and rest them on something (dont undo the brake line). Then you can remove the hub and the rotor. The new one will have the hub and rotor put it back on and then rebolt your caliper with the two bolts. I didn't take photos but I bet it becomes clear once you get the tire off.
    Thanks. This will be helpful to me when I change out the hubs on my other axle.

4. Member
    On my 2008 tandem axle trailer, the axles bolt to the frame. I dropped the entire axle, stood it up vertically, set the flange on a 4” square tube that allowed the spindle to sit down inside it. Had someone hold the axle. Wired up a giant punch to sit on the back of the spindle, sprayed a little penetrant and let it soak for a few minutes, and within 5 whacks of the sledge the spindle popped right out. Was much easier to to than laying underneath the trailer on the ground

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12