Thread: Punch Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Punch Rod

Best punch rod for the money; getting old so it needs to be sensitive, lol

I'm a fan of the Dobyns 735 in the Champion series.. I'd also look into the Dobyns Fury series for $109. A few friends have them and like them as well.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

There is no bass under that grass
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

Need to get one with a counter wright in the handle. Makes a world of difference

20XDC / Promax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr900racer22 View Post
    There is no bass under that grass
    Who make's them?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrick View Post
    Need to get one with a counter wright in the handle. Makes a world of difference
    who makes one with a counter weight?

Quote Originally Posted by BStrick View Post
    I never thought about that. I've got a 7'11" hvy red blank Cumara. It's a great rod but it wears me out. I feel like I've been pitching hay after about an hour flipping with it.

How would a guy go about adding weight to a rod with next to nothing on the butt end? It's not like those old BPS Extremes that had a screw off knob on the butt that made it easy . How much weight should I start with?

8. Member
    There are some products out there that make some with rubber caps that will slide over the butt of any rod. They come with several weights and you just add however many are needed to get the balance you desire. You coul also make something like this yourself using something like furniture end caps and even if you used quarters for your weights it would probably be as cheap or cheaper. I bet if you Google it you can find some youtube videos of how to make some or info on some store bought brands.

9. Member
    894/895 nrx/glx they are costly but worth it.

The bps one he is talking ab is the one I've used before. I don't own a counter weight rod but I want one bad. Prob will be my next rod purchase. U can flip a ounce- ounce and a half weight all damn day with no stress. It's really nice

20XDC / Promax

11. Member
    I use a power tackle paragon and love it.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

12. Member
    You can replace the butt end of the rod with one of the counter balance butts from any of the rod building suppliers.

13. Member
    get a custom built. About the same price and usually better warranty and quality. i'm using an mhx FP935 blank. its 7'9" mod fast heavy with the new win grips.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    You can replace the butt end of the rod with one of the counter balance butts from any of the rod building suppliers.
    Thanks, I'll have to check that out. It may sound silly but I don't want to take a $279 rod and booger it up with some washers and black tape or one of those baby blue squeak toy looking things I see some guys using.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDRINE View Post
    894/895 nrx/glx they are costly but worth it.
    I sold mine and replaced them with klx stump grinders, the nrx had very good sensitivity but lacked in the backbone a little for my taste. I fished with an nrx and a glx for two seasons and got rid of them.

16. Member
    Earlier this year I bought that Phenix M-1... I threw down that lews rod I was using... Love the Phenix... I only
    used it a handful of trips but it's finally what I've been hunting in a flipping stick... It's light enough to pitch/flip all day, it'll punch mats... Pretty good sensitive tip, lot of action for a 7-8 heavy but still plenty backbone...

Im ready to quit traveling and get back home to stay for a while and get back to fishing... I should be home after thanksgiving..

17. Member
    Dobyns Champ 735C would be great. But I do believe anything over 1 1/2 ounces I would get the 736C. It has enough backbone to pull a Volvo out the grass.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Member
    I use those flat duck decoy weights. The kind u wrap around the decoy's neck...just wrap arounf the butt of the rod for counter balance...u can cut the length of the weight to adjust how much u need.����

Quote Originally Posted by swampshark View Post
    I use those flat duck decoy weights. The kind u wrap around the decoy's neck...just wrap arounf the butt of the rod for counter balance...u can cut the length of the weight to adjust how much u need.����
    U got a link to what u talking ab?

20XDC / Promax

Andy Brignac builds all of my rods. I have 3 different punching rods with the weight kit on the butt. They can be had for around $180-250 depending on the blank. I have fished 2 day tournaments using a punch rod for 95% of the day, without that weight kit your wrist/arm will tire easily.

Give him a call or text. (225) 206-4435
    Also if you're ever around the Gramercy/Lutcher area Z's Tackle normally has a few in the store if you want to get a feel for the action or weight setup you want.
    2004 210 Blazer Pro-V
    2013 250 Merc Pro XS (wingmaster)Sn: 2B009365

tjrou2005@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast