Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel consumption on the V-Rods will depend on your operating tendencies. A heavy foot will result in a light fuel load (it's supercharged... when you cram almost two atmospheres down it's throat @ WOT, the PCM has to dump a proportional amount of fuel to match it.

Back out of the throttle 800-900 RPM's... consumption drops considerably.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    My boat has been in the shop for a while (whole different issue with the glass and hole in the bottom - not the Verado on the back) so I'm not positive of the hours. But, I think it has around 120-130 hours on it. I think running wot across the lake I'm seeing the gas usage in the 23-24 gph. I backed it down to run around 4k rpm and I wanna say the gas usage was in the 8-9 gph.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 921 View Post
    You do realize NO one has said anything about changing the emission control devices. The computer control on a diesel is different then just adding fuel and air to a outboard. They are not taking any device off or doing anything to the emission. Air and fuel in gets HP out and that 300 is no different. We use to do it with larger cams, now just a computer adjustment. The Sho, Verado, and Pro XS use same block from 200 to 300 and the fuel and air is the only thing that regulates HP difference between them. That is why they can flash the computer and get the extra HP. The great news is maybe Trump will do away with theses regulations and put something in place that will really do something. The miss information out their like this is why he is now going to be the president.
    i al POSITIVE the rules are the same for any engine, car or boat. I have driven Mustang GT's for the last 10 years, in the owner's manual of my 2014 it specifically says"any performance tuning to ECU will VOID warranty. The Varado is already hi-performance since it forced induction. Even though the motor is capable of making 300 hp, tuning to do that will put undue stress on roaring assemblies. While I may not know much about boat motors, I gauranter you tuning for any more than 225 hp, will absolutely void the manufacturers warranty. That is a fact, otherwise they would've tuned it for 300 hp at the factory. There maybe manufacture's performance tunes, if so those are the ONLY ones that will not void warranty. Do the smart thing if you want a 300 hp motor, buy a 300 hp motor.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

4. Banned
    Can the PCM on the V-rod be scanned to detect modifications? Supposedly on the SHO the YDS can detect over rev and nothing else. We don't have emissions control inspections for outboards so how would anyone know if the ecu was reprogrammed? Unless the manufacturers make a temper proof ecus people will find ways to improve performance.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, calibration information/version can be scanned with the Computer Diagnostic System (though only a portion of that data is visible to the dealer while it's occurring).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12