Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Here's a tournament situation to debate

"The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Sorry, this page isn't available

Dale Sinclair original

3. Banned
    Absolute horses*it IMO that both teams were DQ'd.

Hmmm...comes up for me just fine. I am not a FB friend of his nor have I liked his page. Strange.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I agree with its a silly rule but the rule was made known prior to all fishing the event. It sucks and no way in hell I would have protested them but the TD hands are tied if its a clear cut rule in black and white. Change the rule by next year is all he can do. He had no choice but to DQ them all if that rule is printed and made known. Again its a silly rule.

On another note there is no way I could feel like I "won" had I been the one to win because of the protest. Someone caught more weight than we did and made a honest mistake(the right mistake at that) while helping someone and therefor no competitive advantage was gained. sad someone protestested them.

6. Member
    Rules are rules and you are responsible for knowing them before the tournament. I hate it for the guys who were DQed with a winning bag. I wonder where the guy who protested them finished.

Mark: I agree that the rule about returning to the ramp in the same boat is silly. But, it at least appears clear. The DQ of the winners for giving the other guys a ride back in is the really crazy part, to me.

8. Banned
    So I was down there a couple weeks ago and some guys got thrown out of there boat everyone was ok after a fellow competitor stopped and helped them .. but by those rules if there boat was broke and guys were in the water ,helping them out of the water and taking them back would get u dq that's bs .. that could cost someone there life fishing isn't above a persons life .. so if that had happened u think they would've still dq the team .. I doubt it ..

9. Banned
    All parties involved agreed to the rules beforehand so you have no gripe in the matter period. Sucks yes but everyone agreed to it, sorry tough lesson to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    So I was down there a couple weeks ago and some guys got thrown out of there boat everyone was ok after a fellow competitor stopped and helped them .. but by those rules if there boat was broke and guys were in the water ,helping them out of the water and taking them back would get u dq that's bs .. that could cost someone there life fishing isn't above a persons life .. so if that had happened u think they would've still dq the team .. I doubt it ..
    Hence why its a silly rule in my opinion...

11. Banned
    Where are the rules posted..

12. Member
    Time for an amendment of the rule to allow helping a fellow competitor.

13. Banned
    It's not them returning in the same boat rule it's the one the guys who should've won got dq on .. to me a bad interpretation of the rule .. 5 dinks they were helping a stranded anglers out .. and if it has been the tournament I fished a couple weeks ago those guys would've been dq for helping guys out of the water and taking them to the boat ..

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    It's not them returning in the same boat rule it's the one the guys who should've won got dq on .. to me a bad interpretation of the rule .. 5 dinks they were helping a stranded anglers out .. and if it has been the tournament I fished a couple weeks ago those guys would've been dq for helping guys out of the water and taking them to the boat ..
    I don't know man, I'm just going by what I read in the FB post. Where are the official rules? Post them up and folks can give a better voice on the matter.

15. Member
    I couldn't read the link. The guy protesting was probably following protocol. Can't blame him. My experience is all TD don't always "enforce" every rule. Most have discretion but risk their credibility and future participation is it's not used wisely. since I couldn't read the link I didn't get the story so I ask the question about using a cell phone to clear this with the TD at the time. Was this an option ? I realize cell service is spotty in some waters.
    GETFISHED !!!

FWIW - In many of the T's I fished through the years not reporting an infraction can get you DQ'ed. This rule and situation definitely sucks, but with the written rule it is hard to see it go any other way. That rule should be amended.
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

17. Member
    I couldn't open the link either. Our Tx rules had a line in it about following all applicable State laws. Kansas you are required by law to help distressed people or disabled boats while on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I couldn't open the link either. Our Tx rules had a line in it about following all applicable State laws. Kansas you are required by law to help distressed people or disabled boats while on the water.
    But stopping to render aid and making sure they are physically OK is much different than towing them all the way back in etc. Nothing in state laws or boating regulations state you are required to give them a ride in or tow their boat in. Only to stop and check on them and render aid in an emergency. Without reading the exact tourney rules its all speculation and opinion but from what I have seen posted so far the TD had no choice.

19. Member
    There's usually a clause at the end of the published rules that state "final decision of the TD" to allow interpretation of a rules as it relates to actually cheating (not in this case) or not. There they can make an informed and reasonable decision. Not seeing the published rules I can't say otherwise.

Being the protester/whistleblower is a tough position to be in. I've witnissed an infraction during a Pro-Am where there was a conflict of interest. The owner of the circuit fished as a boater. He brought an extra fish to the dock but didn't state as much. He had a tremendous bag to boot. I called him out and it and it turned ugly. The TD was in a position to DQ the guy that writes his check. At the end , the angler "self removed" his weight due to the "confusion". Those that witnessed the infraction applauded my protest. All the fans of the circuit owner vilified me.

The trail is now defunct and I stopped supporting it. So karma caught up.

20. Member
    If it was anyone leading but Kenny and Kevin there would be zero protest. I honestly believe that. These Guys are Hammers. They won the Triton Owners and Lucas Oil on KY lake this year. They are both class acts and hell of fisherman

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast