Any Regrets on Your PP/Talon?

See lots of expensive hydraulic anchors these days and wondered if many regret the purchase later? I would probably use one quite a bit because of my shallow fishing but I'm concerned about reliability long term. Will I wish I had a rope and anchor later?

2. Member
    none at all. only regret is I wished i bought them sooner dual 12' talons

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    never want another boat without them,
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    powerpoles that is.... right Drewtick, btw your mailbox was full, tried to send you a pm on your inquiry

Love my talon, the only thing is that they are expensive. Thats why i have only one. The wind has been blowing alot down here lately and it has definitely been an asset. Rope and anchor...never again!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies....maybe something for me to consider.

7. Member
    Handy but debatable with cost. Did it contribute to more fish?? No... I had a 12ft talon and used it more for loading/unloading than fishing shallow water. A good troller with a skilled operator can be more than enough in most cases. Prob won't get another or will find a much cheaper option.

8. Member
    I'm mixed about having dual Talons. I like the ability to take them off in a matter of 10 minutes if I don't plan on using them or fishing shallow water, but I use them consistently if I fish tidal waters to keep my boat in place as well. But now from learning to fish ledges, I'd almost wished that I invested in a trolling motor with spot lock or anchor function.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

9. Member
    My regret is that I have 8' Talons and not 12's. 12's will be my next purchase.
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

10. Member
    Only regret I have with my Powerpole Sportsman II is... I wish I had 2 of them! One does work great, but the more the merrier. I'll never own a boat without one again.
    2017 Ranger RT188 - Charcoal Metallic
    Passenger Console
    3 across seating/ 2 across seating at bow

Mercury 115 Pro XS 4s
    Spitfire X7 19p 4 blade prop
    Atlas Micro 4 inch Jackplate
    Mercmonitor Smartcraft
    Sportsman II Powerpole
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    TH Marine Eliminator Nut
    Recirc livewell
    Humminbird Helix 7 DI G2N GPS console for navigation
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI GPS G3N bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI Mega console
    Mega 360
    Boatbuckle G2 trailer retractable tiedowns

11. Solix 10 Gen3 DI+/SI+
    Love my dual 10' Talons. Money well spent. I use them all the time.

Power poles are the best money I have ever spent,,,, will not own another boat with out em The only regret I have is not getting them sooner

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    See lots of expensive hydraulic anchors these days and wondered if many regret the purchase later? I would probably use one quite a bit because of my shallow fishing but I'm concerned about reliability long term. Will I wish I had a rope and anchor later?
    I got the Power Pole Sportsman2. Purchased it on the Tackle Warehouse Black Friday special with 25% off for a $975. Can beat the price and I drag mine all over the lake and never any issue for about 4 years now. I will never fish without one.

I'm debating with myself if I'd rather have a 10' Talon or upgrade my sonar on the bow from a 798 si to a Helix 10si (or Helix 9 but that's a different forum). I think about the lake I fish most of the time and most of it is steep 45 degree banks with rocky points and very few shallow backwater areas...although some of those areas have produced some nice fish for me. With no jackplate, I'm also concerned about the space the Talon would take up....I'm not sure how I'd put water in my TM batteries with a Talon in the way.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    I regret I only got one when I got my boat. Just added a second.

My only regret is MK did not make the 12' Talons when I ordered the Phoenix.

I won't comment on anyone's preference for Talons or Power Poles. MK support has been excellent and the comments I've seen, PP also has excellent support. I fish a lot of shallow water lakes and use them frequently throughout the day. Loading or unloading, fishing a windy bank, re-tying a lure if I want to stay on the same spot, having a sandwich under the shade, or retrieving a snagged bait near the bank to prevent the boat from getting onto the rocks, especially on a windy day.

I've been fishing Ky lake more lately and will be changing my trolling motor from a Fortrex to an Ulterra with the spot lock feature for ledge fishing and other areas where I've driven over a spot deeper than my Talons will go down to anchor me.

One major advantage of both Talons and PP is the ability to position the boat and "stick it" there with very little movement of the boat which is more critical when you are targeting a spot. The TM will move up to 5' in any direction before self correcting. Sometimes that may make it more difficult to put the lure exactly where you want it.

I would not buy another boat without Talons or PPs on it. BTW... preference of ordering Talons over PP. I have a bass tracker also and can switch a Talon from the Phoenix to the Tracker in less than 5 minutes.

17. Member
    Just put a talon on my boat and its already saved me a few fish. Hit the anchor and I can net my fish without worry of hitting rocks and trees. Its always windy here in Texas. Just wish I had bought 2 12 footers now but happy with the one right now.

18. Banned
    I had one on my boat I just sold. Picked up a ranger, I plan on installing a single 12 and didn't notice how much I loved having one till it was gone. Not only is in great for fishing but I used it all the time for docking. When pulled up to a dock I just pushed the boat out 5-7 feet from dock, lower the Talon with the remote and rope it off. Rig will never bump the dock, it's an amazing piece of gear.

Only regret is not getting the 12 foot talons, just wasn't in the budget at the time.

I guess I have one regret brewing. I had a 12' tallon on the old boat and this boat has 2 10' blades. And I regret blades, I want two talons...... But that's cause no one around has them for me to try. So I may just be wanting to try them...