Best boat carpet glue

Will be doing new carpet soon and see a bunch of ways people say to glue it down good. Some say contact cement and some say get the glue from the boat carpet dealers. I've also heard to not use a water based glue but some of the glue supplied from the boat carpet sellers is a water based product. Want to do this once and the right way. Don't want it to come loose. Thank for any advice.
    Last edited by Reezenbowhunter; 10-26-2016 at 11:48 AM.

2. Member
    I wouldn't use anything but DAP Weldwood contact cement. You have to pay a little more attention when installing carpet but it'll be better in the long run.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfishrman View Post
    I wouldn't use anything but DAP Weldwood contact cement. You have to pay a little more attention when installing carpet but it'll be better in the long run.
    agreed!! only thing I used on my recarpet job.

DAP WELDWOOD and 3M SPRAY 90...Both very good and both have there uses in a Bass Boat re carpet job!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

5. Member
    Dap Weldwood Landau like mentioned above cost more but is worth it. Only thing I use when doing boat carpets.

Quote Originally Posted by 95202DCX View Post
    DAP WELDWOOD and 3M SPRAY 90...Both very good and both have there uses in a Bass Boat re carpet job!
    ​This is the way to go with both. The spray comes in handy

7. Member
    Thanks guys. Gonna give it a shot soon.

8. Member
    I have done several boat carpeting for customers. I use Henry's carpet glue for all flat surfaces and Weldwood contact cement for the lid edges. Henry's takes more time because it needs to dry for 24 hrs but once dry,it is not coming up. I have seen contact cement loose on heavy traffic areas,like around the troller ft pedal. I don't like the spray glue at all,on the flat surfaces,it seems to eventually allow the carpet to bunch up or wrinkle.

9. Member
    Contact cement most definitely done alot of boats myself and as long as you use a heavy nap roller on both sides it seems to work good for me and I agree the spray glue is useless

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle12 View Post
    I agree the spray glue is useless
    Really, that stuffs so good and easy in rod lockers plus a 1/2 dozen other time saving uses!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

11. Member
    I use the Weldwood wit an automotive paint spray gun. I don't remember witch tip size, but it goes quick like this.

12. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Has anyone used Roberts indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive 6700 superior? It's $25.49 a gallon on eBay. Thanks, Clayton Haske.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonHaske View Post
    Has anyone used Roberts indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive 6700 superior? It's $25.49 a gallon on eBay. Thanks, Clayton Haske.
    Yes, I used it once and had to do it again because the first time I fished in the rain it came loose. Henry 263 is the best. I order it from home depot.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by underestimated View Post
    I use the Weldwood wit an automotive paint spray gun. I don't remember witch tip size, but it goes quick like this.
    Would a cheap spray gun from harbor freight work for this you think? Did you use the regular weld wood in the gallon can that's at Lowe's?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    Would a cheap spray gun from harbor freight work for this you think? Did you use the regular weld wood in the gallon can that's at Lowe's?

yes it would as long as it's not a top load gun the normal tip will work you just adjust the spray.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

16. Member
    Do you have to use the spray grade or would the original work?

17. Member
    DAP All Weather, exterior carpet glue. Only one I could find which claimed to be waterproof. Did my Bullet last spring, it's stored outside and no problems yet. Pretty messy to work with but not too difficult. Allows for minor re-positioning as you go.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

18. Member
    Along with a few others here I recommend Henery's 263. Ordered mine through HD, came in a 3 1/2 gallon tub. Way to much for my project but only way they would order it.

19. Member
    Since the last post on this subject was on 12-4-2106, the information was some what our dated. I could not order Henry's 263 at Home Depot. Instead I called the manufacturer and asked for dealers in my area, Austin, tx. They provided a local dealer and they had 2 gallons in stock! Lucky me. I will say that everything everyone has previously said about Henry's 263 is absolutely on target. You have time to move the carpet around on large flat surfaces. On the edges I used Weldwood contact cement. This made the job so much easier since I was doing the carpet job all by myself. In addition, I added the 1/4" pad in the front area where the trolling motor is. I used weldwood contact cement for the pad to the deck and the same weldwood for the pad to the carpet. I tested the contact cement to a piece of foam for 24 hours and did not see any issues at all. I hope this info helps the next person reading these posts.

If I made a mistake with the glue on the padding, feel free to let me know. I have extra carpet to redo this area.

Thank you,
    CrusinArnd
    CrusinArnd
    1994 Ranger 482VS
    1993 Merc 175
    Call it the Puddle Jumper....

20. Member
    DAP, it's best when it's hot out, We used it a searay. Get a cheap ass spray gun from HF, and have at it. DON"T use that trowel on CRAP..
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR