Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

New 4 stroke rumors

Well, it's been months since I heard or anybody has posted any rumors about a new 150 4 stroke Pro XS or a higher HP based on the normal aspirated 150 or even a bigger block normal aspirated 4 stroke in the 200 plus range. Are we any closer to the truth now days????

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One day closer today...

Seriously, new product releases are being kept pretty tight-lipped these days.

Miami boat show would be the next-logical release point for any products.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    There were spy photos from over a year ago of a different shaped engine on Lake X in FL, we all assumed it was the next high HP four stroke. Have yet to see it. Hopefully at Miami we get news, I know the rumors are stronger now than they were last year. I do also think they will have a full 150-200 naturally aspirated four stroke portfolio for the simple reason they've been phasing out slowly the 1.7l verado. They need to get all the 1.7l blocks sold first.

It will be an interesting year. Mercury has done a great job lately of not releasing a motor too soon. The newer 3l 150 and 2.1l 75-115 have been bulletproof awesome motors. Plus you have to concentrate where the volume is, there are 40x more pontoons and 16-18' alum fish sold than hi perf v-hulls.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

4. Member
    I gave up waiting sold my old boat and 250 ProXS and building my new boat with a Suzuki 200 AP all digital. I'm sure they will release it one day....
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

5. Banned
    The word is that the 150 hp FourStroke is really a much higher horsepower 3 liter motor that's been detuned for reliability. And it's doing a very good job at it's current horsepower level.

Mercury's been very conservative about raising the horsepower on that motor so far. I've been expecting them to raise the horses on it anytime.

I wonder what kind of horsepower the tuners are getting out of the 150 FourStroke? Simon's pushing the Verado 225 to 310 hp commonly with much improved driveability. But supercharged and turbocharged engines take to tuning changes better than naturally aspirated motors.

6. Member
    Flatsboy,

How do you like your Suzuki?

7. Member
    Should have it in a few weeks. Boat is in final assembly motor is going on this week.
    I test drove the demo boat and was so impressed that I switch brands. I've been a loyal Mercury owner since 2005 with the Optimax Line of motors owning a 115 175 pro xs & a 250 proxs.
    I also ran the same boat with the Yamaha 200 4 stroke and the new Mercury 150 4 stroke. Hands down the Suzuki kicked both motors ass in all areas from fuel economy speed and low end torque and it was cheaper. Plus since it geared high you can use large wheel pitch props in the 25 to 26 range to boot. The Suzuki lifted the boat and ran it so much better. It was like you were on a magic carpet ride.The Digital throttle and shift and start was a plus.....
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

8. Banned
    Rumors are flying the Lee brothers to be be running a new merc 4 stroke next year.

Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    Rumors are flying the Lee brothers to be be running a new merc 4 stroke next year.
    We’re are all these rumors flying?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The word is that the 150 hp FourStroke is really a much higher horsepower 3 liter motor that's been detuned for reliability. And it's doing a very good job at it's current horsepower level.

Mercury's been very conservative about raising the horsepower on that motor so far. I've been expecting them to raise the horses on it anytime.
    150 was a realistic (actually a GOOD) HP number for 3L platform (4-stroke).

Verado 6 cylinder models are a completely different topic, as that platform was used in PRODUCTION as a 200-300hp.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    From my old hot rod days, “rule of thumb” was 1.5 hp per cubic inch. That’s about the max for a naturally aspirated engine. So that should be around 275 hp. Now the 150 4s would have to undergo some pretty serious changes to get that kind of Hp. It’s a 4 stroke.

Last edited by 21xTriton05; 11-15-2017 at 08:59 PM.

I'd like to see a badass Merc 4s that would compete with the SHO... competition is a good thing!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    I'd like to see a badass Merc 4s that would compete with the SHO... competition is a good thing!
    It's coming and it's suppose to be a hoss (250) let's hope it lives up to the hype but they have had it on some test boats and all looks promising......

15. Member
    If Mercury sticks to past practice we're not going to hear anything "official" until February 15th, 2018 at the earliest.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Verado Pro does it now, better performance out of Verado Pro
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2500 View Post
    Verado Pro does it now, better performance out of Verado Pro
    I agree 100% Jeff,but this new motor will be more compact,lighter and no super charge which should have better fuel economy compared to the Vrod.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    I agree 100% Jeff,but this new motor will be more compact,lighter and no super charge which should have better fuel economy compared to the Vrod.....
    Standard rigging controls as well. The vrod is an amazing engine and i do think they are cool but the fly by wire rigging is pretty spendy compared to standard controls.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Standard rigging controls as well. The vrod is an amazing engine and i do think they are cool but the fly by wire rigging is pretty spendy compared to standard controls.
    I too have seen pics and basically using the Pro XS hood. Mid section looks like the Pro XS Four stroke 115. TM case. It was a messy looking picture but could see it. Was on UK post. However I hope it’s as powerful as we are use too. It could have been a 150 or 250. Looked slim.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    I know , I want to see it. Also Motor Guide has a new digital, bottom lock or anchor lock coming ( was told by a reliable source) hope the New motor is awesome sure it will be, but it’s going to be hard to not want another Verado
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast