Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Member

2. Member

3. Member

4. Member
    The question is are these, or really the 250 going to be rebuildable and at what cost? That's the drawback of the SHO. I do look for that cost to come down for the SHO but interested to hear about the merc

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would not expect to see ANY engines coming from Merc that are considered "expendable".

I also would not expect to see any engines that would be "commonly" in need of rebuilding, either (at least not in a consumer-production model engine). Durability testing for the last decade+ has been nothing short of "grueling"... resulting in some impressively durable products.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would not expect to see ANY engines coming from Merc that are considered "expendable".

I also would not expect to see any engines that would be "commonly" in need of rebuilding, either (at least not in a consumer-production model engine). Durability testing for the last decade+ has been nothing short of "grueling"... resulting in some impressively durable products.
    That’s encouraging to hear but, at least from my perspective, being rebuildable is great for that “oh poop” instances that come up. They are still a machine that can fail or be damaged due to stupid human tricks. Being able to hone and put in new rings or pistons is handy in those cases.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Banned
    Properly maitained 4 stks are much more reliable than any 2 stks. They are however more expensive to rebuild especialy with flame sprayed cylinder linings, assuming thats what mercury used to reduce the weight of the motor. Cyliders cant simply be reboard. There are a few companies that specialize in spray flamed linings but I doubt anyone has used them yet for marine engines and im sure its expensive.

8. Member
    If anyone here has never talked to Robin Senger, I highly recommend to at a Bassmaster event or any big Mercury event. He is an engineer by trade, but has the best communication skills to explain why these new engines will be the most reliable engine on the market and will parallel the 1l, 2.1l, and 3l offerings in reliability. Mercury is the only marine engine manufacturer where their warranty dollars spent are less than 1% of total retail sales. This is better than GM!, and half of what Evinrude spends on warranty who only sells 34,000 engines per year.

When you look at the numbers mercury is the most reliable powerplant manufactured for the water. Really at this point every other manufacturer is just catching up. There's a reason why mercury sells over 330,000 outboards a year.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

I worded that wrong. I don't mean "expendable". I mean is it going to cost 10k to rebuild it when it blows out of warranty? Maybe it won't happen a lot but it will happen.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Difficult to make a blanket statement on that dollar figure- I remember when it was considered ridiculous to spend $2000 to rebuild or replace a powerhead.

A more realistic means of answering that question would be to measure rebuild/replace cost against the cost of the engine (new) at the time. I would be quite surprised to see a scenario where you cannot rebuild or replace the powerhead (for instance) at, or less than 1/2 the cost of a new engine (based on the then-current price of the engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456