Hitting out of the rough

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong (besides hitting it into the rough in the first place)? Every time I am hitting it out of rough or anything thick, I hit the ball way right, like 45 degrees from where I am trying hit it. I'm assuming I'm hitting the grass or ground with the toe of the club first causing it to open way up. Are there any tips on fixing this? I can't seem to fix it.

2. Member
    Is it straight right? Or start right and slice?

i almost wonder if it is a "mental block" - your swing subconsciously changes slightly because your in the rough.

I see see you're in Pevely, MO? Where do you play?

You are probably too steep in your swing and when swinging down in a chopping motion the face is opened up due to your wrist rolling the face open and can't get back to square at impact and you shank it. If you have an outside in swing it makes it worse.
    I could be wrong, just assuming.

Swing the club through the rough and try not to help it out. Swing it out don't chop it out. Try to keep the face from twisting open in heavy grass by increasing your grip pressure.
    If you are green side keep your wrists and arms straight. Swing like you are putting.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Quote Originally Posted by fishinFamily View Post
    Is it straight right? Or start right and slice?

i almost wonder if it is a "mental block" - your swing subconsciously changes slightly because your in the rough.

I see see you're in Pevely, MO? Where do you play?
    Straight right.

I probably play Pomme Creek the most. I'm not good enough to pay to play really good courses and Pomme has actually been in pretty good shape lately. I'll also play Teamsters here in Pevely, Riverside in Fenton, we've gone over to Illinois and played some of the courses around Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    You are probably too steep in your swing and when swinging down in a chopping motion the face is opened up due to your wrist rolling the face open and can't get back to square at impact and you shank it. If you have an outside in swing it makes it worse.
    I could be wrong, just assuming.

Swing the club through the rough and try not to help it out. Swing it out don't chop it out. Try to keep the face from twisting open in heavy grass by increasing your grip pressure.
    If you are green side keep your wrists and arms straight. Swing like you are putting.
    I do have a very light grip pressure most of the time, not sure if that is the cause, but it seems like I really just started doing it this year. Might have to stew over it this winter as my golfing days this year maybe done with deer season starting up and the weather changing. Played in a little scramble this weekend and did it a couple times so it was on my mind. Something I'll work on for next year.

6. Member
    The rough is grabbing the club and turning it. When hitting out of the rough...grip pressure should be tighter than normal. DEEP rough...you need to choke the hell out of it!!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

Quote Originally Posted by Longrodder View Post
    The rough is grabbing the club and turning it. When hitting out of the rough...grip pressure should be tighter than normal. DEEP rough...you need to choke the hell out of it!!
    Thanks, I'll work on that.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong (besides hitting it into the rough in the first place)? Every time I am hitting it out of rough or anything thick, I hit the ball way right, like 45 degrees from where I am trying hit it. I'm assuming I'm hitting the grass or ground with the toe of the club first causing it to open way up. Are there any tips on fixing this? I can't seem to fix it.
    I think you may be coming way out side on your down swing. I see it happen to alot of guys, more common with the lower irons. I don't think if your swing is on plain that some rough will turn your club unless it's some really think tall grass. I play out of the rough with a club longer choked down a tad. This will help you not think about crushing it to get out of the thick stuff and worried about the distance you need. I don't know what your playing in or where, but try that.

Pomme eh? I haven't played it since they jacked the prices up on residents. I can find too many other courses to play cheaper that are longer than Pomme which is one of the shortest 18 hole regulation courses in the St Louis area.

The 45 degree dead right is an indication of a shank. Sounds like you need to grip a little firmer and make sure that swing isn't coming too much from the outside in where the grass is catching the toe.

10. Member
    choke down a little and move the ball back in your stance some...most likely trying to lift the ball out of the high stuff ( the thin shots) which raises your hands causing the toe drag opening the face some. Choke down some and get on top of it...Good luck
    JbTr196

11. Member
    Hood the club a little in thick stuff. Hit a couple practice shots out of the rough when you are messing around.

When you hit the ball does it feel pure or kinda feel a solid thump and feel it through the grip? Sounds like you are hitting it off the hosel (shanking it).....