Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Way to label line size/brand/type on rods?

I have tried various ways to label the test and type/brand of line on my rods over the last couple of years. I carry about 35-40 rod and reel combos in the boat and sometimes differentiating 10 from 12, or 12 from 14 pound, 14 from 17 etc. is difficult. I normally crank small stuff with 10 or 12 and squarebills with 14, 17 or 20, so it can be a pain to try to figure out what line I put on what rod a month ago. I will flip with Pline CXX, but use other brands for other applications. Nothing I have tried has worked real well. If anyone has a better idea I am all ears. Something cheap and readily available would be good.

I have seen the line labels sold on Tackle Warehouse, but have shyed away from purchasing them, but maybe they are worth it. Anyone have any experience with these? http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Highw...age-TACKL.html

I also don't need them for braid as I only use two different sizes. 65 and 35 pound test. These from TW also don't allow you write in the brand name of the line.

This is what I have tried so far:

I have written the size on the rod handle with a fine tip sharpie. It it messy, wears off quickly, and doesn't work well on black EVA foam handles. Got away from this. Sharpie comes off easily with de-natured alcohol in case you are wondering.

Written line size with a sharpie on the reels. Doesn't work well with black Lews reels.

Used an Avery label maker, but can't get the labels to stay on worth a hoot. I usually will wrap them around the rod in front of the foregrip, but eventually they all will start to come off and become a PIA.

Last attempt was just using the cheap garage sale type stick on's and writing on them. These will stay on, but if they get wet the deteriorate. In general they deteriorate quickly.

I am out of ideas.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 10-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.