Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2008 Silverado 5.3 oil burning help

If you have a Silverado or any other GM product with a 5.3 from like 2007 to 2011 you probably have the problem of pretty crappy mileage and burning oil. I've had this truck since it had 40,000 and now I'm at 125K. Burn at least a quart every 1500 miles and my mileage has gone from almost 17 to 15 and change. Anyway I've tuned it up, ran some seafoam through the vacuum system and a couple other fuel/decarb things over the years and it would get better but just for a little while.

Buddy told me about a little thing to disable the AFM (doesn't let it go into 4 cylinder mode). Bought it and have been using it for about 1000 miles. Oil has just barely gone down and mileage is at 16.3...range technologies AFM disabler. Was $189 and seems to be doing what they say it will. Just wanted to pass this along. Love the truck, hate the motor.

Yup, I had a 2008 also that used about 2-3 quarts per oil change and a guy I worked with had the same thing that used 5. I also had lots of other problems with mine like the gauges all going dead at random times and the battery would be dead after sitting for 3-4 days. When it was dead at an airport parking lot after being gone 5 days, I traded it for a Tundra. I had it for 4.5 years and only had about 62,000 miles on it but it was really pissing me off. Love my Tundra!
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Find you a local engine rebuilder, mechanically do away with the afm, vvt, rebuild with good pistons and retune your ecm. It will be a whole different truck and you will have more power and better mileage. You can delete the afm and vvt, by tuning but, it didnt cost very much to rebuild the 5.3. The 5.3 is a good engine once you get rid of the afm and vvt. There is lots of potential in a ls based engine. The engine is a great design, when you get rid of the afm and vvt.

4. Member
    Lived through the gauge thing with my old GMC and had a Cadillac CTS that when driven locally used a quart of Mobil 1 every 500 miles and on my last trip to Atlanta it used a quart of oil every 300 miles! For me now it's Honda and Toyota only and both are great.I tried to stay with GM but their products are no longer up to par IMO. Too bad.

5. Banned
    The oil consumption problem is one written about so often online. I'd suggest looking at some of the GM truck specific websites to see what other owners are doing about the problem. Summit sells a rebuilt 5.3 for $3K.

One thing to do would be to clean that puppy up and trade it in on something else.

I've got 190k of hard hunting and boat towing miles on my 08 z71 4x4. Stayed away from the 5.3 with the fuel savings nonsense and bought it new with the standard 5.3 no strings attached. When I put the leveling kit and oversize tires, the fuel mileage went away so I gave up on that years ago. As for the oil consumption, it does burn oil, only smokes when it's hammered. But I keep a check on it. It's paid for and is served me very well over the years. Little to no issues with this truck of mine...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The oil consumption problem is one written about so often online. I'd suggest looking at some of the GM truck specific websites to see what other owners are doing about the problem. Summit sells a rebuilt 5.3 for $3K.

One thing to do would be to clean that puppy up and trade it in on something else.
    That's probably what I'm going to do but I need one more winter and summer out of it. 1800 miles later I ended up burning a full quart which is a little better than before and MPG has settled at 15.8 so I'm a little ahead of the game. I ran some more seafoam through the top end again. I'm probably going to be looking at a Ford next.

8. Scraps
    I have a 2011 and a tune for performance and to do away with the FM. I burn no oil, not sure if I did before. I mainly wanted to retune the tranny which was terrible to drive.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I've got a 2010 Z-71 with the 5.3, 150K miles. I can't brag about the gas mileage. It's usually on 15.9 but I do a lot of city driving and sitting in one place and idling. I know both of those things knock it down...plus my rear end is geared pretty low too. I maintain my oil and I'm never a pint low between oil changes. Mobil 1 ever since the break in oil was drained. I usually change it when the meter gets below 30% or so.

Oh yeah, the EFM is still on and I never even notice the change unless I'm watching the dashboard. Never a minute trouble with any of it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

10. Member
    Fixed it...traded it in on an F150.

Well, I guess I'm eating my words. My know it all from across the street (who has the exact same truck I have) came over the other day while I was out in the garage working on the boat and says, "Looks like your truck's burning oil". I asked him what made him say that and he points to the black ring around my tailpipe...

Like I said in the earlier post, I had never known my truck to use a drop of oil between changes. Anyway, I checked it and sure enough, it was a quart low. I guess the last payment alarm went off. At 10 bucks a quart for Mobil 1 that's going to get expensive. I have used Chevron Techtron for years and the AFM is so smooth I never notice the change.

I plan on keeping this truck forever. Should I start using Mobil 1 for high milage engines....heavier oil than 5w30? Snake oil?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    I'd try the higher mileage oil sooner and enjoy it till you're tired of it oil it drops. If your not tired of it by the re-power and press on. There isn't anything else on the road that'll touch the ride and versatility of the Avalanche. My 08 had Mobil 1 from the first oil change and still dropped a lifter (another known problem) and wiped a cam at 40K miles. Never had another problem other than it ate batteries, and the dash cracked when I traded it for the POS 14 Silverado. If I'd had a 4wd I'd never even looked.

My 15 TRD Pro Tundra crew max is as close to the ride as I've come. Knock on wood it's been bullet proof for two years and 45,000 miles. Same 15 MPG average as my 3.73 geared Avalanche.

13. Member
    I had used Mobil 1 in the '08 from the time I got it, kept a big jug in the back at all times. It's a shame really, my last three trucks have all been Chevy, Cheyenne and 2 Silverados but this motor problem was the last straw. I had brought it back to the dealer a year or so after I got it and they told me it was normal for that engine. Shouldn't be normal for any engine.

They are IMO the best ride when it comes to trucks. I drove a '14 Tundra CrewMax and it was really nice, all things being equal I probably would have got that one but they wanted $34K for it and wouldn't budge off $10K on my trade. It had 45k miles.

Ended up with a '13 F150 XLT Supercrew with a 5.0 and a few extra options. Truck only has 27K miles and is certified so I've got powertrain coverage for 7/100K and. Paid $28,500 and they gave me $11K on trade, ponied up another $1900 for bumper to bumper to match the 7/100K. All in all very happy and the ride is actually very good. The Chevy was probably a little better though I will say that. Ford and Toyota do have a big edge when it comes to back seat room though, both way bigger than the Silverado.

Well, mine's paid off and want to retire in a year or two a helluva lot more than I want a fresh truck payment. I guess I'll keep driving it until Al Gore starts using my name in speeches.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

So what does this mean?
    I looks to me that they're saying "We know there's a problem but we're not going to do anything about it". Sort of like the "Bank Robbery Monitor" in the commercial.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Valve cover and afm oil deflector would help. If it's using oil it will eventually kill the #1 spark plug
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

18. Member
    I have the same problem with my 07 Silverado. Burns oil and now have a bad lifter. Pisses me off they won't fix this. Will be the last Chevy I will ever own.

19. Member
    Bought my 2007 z71 with 36,000 now has 131,000 started using oil at about 60,000 I then started using 5 quarts of Mobil 1 with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer at every oil change and problem was solved been the best truck I've ever had

Switch to Rotella oil. Its big truck oil but thats what we have put in diesels for the last 35 years to keep them from burning oil.
    Guy that runs the truck shop and a speed and dyno uses it in his dragsters and so do I.
    We have no way to check our oil without having to drain it all out so having a oil in there that helps your motor not burn it is a plus.

Just make sure your oil is compliant with what your motor calls for. Just sold a 2010 ford and the oil rating we so low Rolella didn't even make anything that low.
    Called for like 5w - 30 something really thin like that.
    190TX Tracker 24' Striper offshore
    Southern living. Coastal North Carolina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast