Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Would adding the Lucas oil additive help?

2. Member
    I just ran across this thread & thought id run it back to the top to maybe help some of the guys still driving the older ls powered chevy trucks. I own an auto repair shop in grand rapids michigan & my client base seems to drive a lot of gm trucks & suv's so we've seen this oil consumption problem many times & have fixed every one of them by replacing the driver side valve cover. Years back I was pulling a 6.0 down in a 04 2500 hd for a valve job to reduce the cloud of oil smoke in his garage every morning. When i set the intake manifold on the bench oil started running out of it. Thought that was odd for a dry intake so after some head scratching , figured only way for the oil to get in there was through pcv system. Pulled the driver side valve cover & the baffle below the pcv valve was full of oil that couldnt drain out due to carbon build up. Checked gm parts & saw there was a new part # on the valve cover. Put one on & put it all back together & hasnt burned any significant oil since. That was probably 10-12 years ago & he's still driving it. Since then, every ls oil consumption complaint we get, I just pull the intake tube off the throttle body & push the throttle plate open & look in there with an led flashlight. If theres any oil in there, we replace the valve cover. It has fixed the problem 100% of the time. It has been an issue on up to around 2011 model year I believe, 4.8, 5.3 6.0,6.2. Hasn't mattered if it's afm or not. Hope this help's someone out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12