Need advice on lid latches

I need new latches on my 97 Skeeter zx202. The current holes are 2". I want to upgrade to the new t style latches that have the chrome handles. However, those fit in large diameter holes than I have. I have read some guys says use a "boring" drill bit while some say use a hole bit. Anyone have any suggestions? My lids are metal, not fiberglass.

Being you already have a 2 inch hole, I would use a jig saw to open the hole the right amount.

3. Member
    A common method for enlarging existing holes is to use a template and hole saw. Drill the hole size you need in a piece of plywood then clamp the plywood onto the lid. This will not allow the hole saw to walk around.

4. Member
    Do I drill from underneath the lid or on top, through the carpet. Will the teeth of the saw went to t at the carpet from the top?

After you clamp your template on from the top, use an Exacto knife to cut the carpet and remove it before drilling with a whole saw. Saw will grab carpet and pull, possibly causing a run if it is not first removed.

6. Member
    SORRY!! I missed the part about metal lids, I asked a machine shop pal of mine and he said they make a similar sanding drum for metal.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/26pc-Sanding-...h-g~~60_35.JPGgo to your hardware store and get this attachment for your drill. very easy to do, much safer than a hole saw and only thing you need to do after is vacuum up the sanded particles and trim the carpet a bit maybe. I've done this several ways and this is by far the easiest...just attach to drill, sand the inside of the hole and test fit as you make progress...trust me...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by falcon114; 10-27-2016 at 03:43 PM.
    2005 Ranger 521VX, 2005 Yamaha 250

7. Member
    Thanks for the tips. Now to do the work!

8. Member
    they also make a hole saw arbor that you can put two saws on to enlarge a hole already made, google an "oops arbor" for a hole saw and it will make sense how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Unckle View Post
    they also make a hole saw arbor that you can put two saws on to enlarge a hole already made, google an "oops arbor" for a hole saw and it will make sense how it works
    I'll be dang! That's a marvelous invention. I didn't know such an accessory existed until now. That's a great tip.

10. Banned
    I made a home made oops hole saw to do mine. just put the smaller one inside the bigger one and get some #10 bolts and nuts and bolt them together. works also on making hole bigger if going from cable steering to hydrolic helm. if you have small 3/4 in dia holes from the old small latches get a 3/4 bit cut down to a 1/4 inch so it will fit in hole saw pilot bit.

11. Banned
    pm sent

12. Member
    I'd go with a boring drill bit; it will be much faster and easy to check the diameter as you drill the hole out more a little at a time.

13. Member
    I'd go with a boring bit; it is much easier to work with than a hole saw and it can make quick work of the aluminum lids you have. Good luck

14. Banned

oooppppssss

Go the ooppssss arbor route... period!

15. Member
    Just a thought. I tried to install larger sizes on my Cobra. If you enlarge the existing hole with the same center my lid would not close. The catch on the underneath side was too close to the wall to allow the lid to close. Also you can exacto the carpet or run the drill backwards until the carpet is compromised and then make the cut.