Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation 2010 Z7 gas splashing

Ok who else has the problem of gas splashing all over the side of the boat and trailer fender? No matter how slow I start pumping it blows back all over and sometimes gets me if I'm not fast enough. I've never had a boat do this before and it's caused me to have to buff out the fender more than once.

2. Member
    I pulled my vent hose and blew it out with the compressor, seemed to help. But I'm with ya, sure sucks smelling like gas all day. Ive noticed that I have to angle the gas nozzle inline with the bend of the gas tank hose to allow the gas a straight shot into the tank. Good luck

3. Member
    Haven't tried messing with the hose. Sounds like a job for this weekend. It's so bad I keep a couple of waters on the back deck so I can rinse it off everytime I get gas. Other than this so far I'm happy with the boat.

4. Member
    Try turning the nozzle upside down while filling up. This is an old trick. Otherwise don't fill it up to the brim. You can hear it getting close so just stop when you hear it. Mine personally doesn't spill so I don't have to worry about this. But I still turn my key to the on position to know how much gas I'm putting in since I rarely fill past 3/4.

5. Member
    Never have filled it up. I can put $20 worth in it and it sounds like it's filled up. I can hear the sloshing before it sprays all over. That's the part I don't understand.
    I'll try the nozzle upside down next time to see if it helps.
    Thanks

6. Member
    I put the gas cap up towards the inside and I bought a funnel big enough to fit in the hole just enough to pour the gas in. The chain leaves a little air space between the funnel and chain and that has taken care of the problem of gas blowing back out while refilling. The funnel is a red funnel 5 inches wide if that helps any.

7. Member
    I just bought a 2010 Z8 and had the same problem while filling the tank. The previous owner warned me but I never expected the issue to be this bad. It seems like the air gets trapped in the tank as the gas fills and then the pressure releases when it gets to high shooting gas all over the boat and trailer?

8. Member
    I'd heard about the upside-down nozzle that Potomacbassin was talking about and tried it the other day and it helped. Still did some but not near as bad. I noticed this boat doesn't have a gas vent like my old Skeeter did. I'm thinking that's the difference. I could turn the pump on and walk away with it. Gotta go real slow and gentle so this one doesn't backup and spray.

9. Member
    Knock on wood, 2015 Z7 with no issues fueling at all.

10. Member
    I have a 2015 Z7, mine is fine. I can run it wide open. Guess I got lucky.

My 2010 Z7 does the same. I have just got used to slowing it way down before being done pumping and it won't burp out.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

My 2017 z21 has no problem filling up. Maybe trapped gas in the vent line.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

They make a anti splash valve that goes in the fill hose now you could
    try
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

14. Member
    I'll look for that Bad air, thanks.
    I did notice when I looked last night the hose is a smaller diameter than the Skeeter hose so that may be the difference.

15. Member
    My 2013 Z-7 is very difficult to fuel up. Start and stop..takes forever. People behind you get aggravated and your truck sticks way out in the lot. Mine will also spew gas when you open the fuel filler door. Is there a fix?
    Last edited by Golfer7114; 07-10-2018 at 02:07 PM.

16. Member

Question

17. Member
    As stated,I would start with vent hose.Make sure it is as straight as possible,no kinks if it has a bend in it make sure it is bent up not down.My 2014 has no problems gassing up.The vent is in the filler opening.

18. Member
    Gotta go slow boys lol. My 2010 Z-7 does same thing just have to pump slow.🤪🤪
    2010 Z-7 Mercury 150 Optimax,
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

19. Member
    I have a 2003 901CDX that does the same thing. I heard about turning the hose upside down and it works great. I just put the nozzle in as far as I can turned upside down and let er rip.

20. Member
    Had a 2010 z7 had the same issue from the first day I picked up from the dealer and still did it when it was traded in
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL Pro
    2023 Pro XS 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Dual CM2 8' Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2022 GMC AT4 3500 HD Crew Cab Duramax
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast