Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Towing Camper & Boat

I have a 25 ft camper trailer (bumper pull) and was thinking about towing my Z8 boat behind the camper trailer. Has any one attempted this?? Sure would save travel miles when going to the lake not having to run double miles both ways. The camper trailer and boat trailer are about the same length. My tow vehicle will pull them with no problem it's a duramax 6.6 diesel.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Yes I did this with my old 5th wheel Jayco which was 35ft and I towed my 14ft Skeeter behind it. No prob at all, pulled it all with an 06 F250, furthest I ever went was Texas to Georgia. You just need to think about not backing up and once you get to your location be able to quickly or within a reasonable amount of effort disconnect so you can back into your camping spot if need be.

Make sure it is legal in your state. No go in FL.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

4. Banned
    Double towing is illegal in many states.

My first problem is that the total length of the tow vehicle AND the travel trailer and boat is just too long. And a travel trailer really doesn't tow that well in the first place--just by itself.

My second problem is that the chassis structure of any travel trailer (and fifth wheel trailer) is just not that strong to begin with--much less having to modify it to take a heavy trailer hitch.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    If I remember the states I ran through were LA, MS, GA, AR, TX and never got questioned/ stopped by the police and if I remember GA didn't allow it. Could have been I was just lucky, when I was doing it I had done some research and found those doing it saying if you stayed on the Hwys you would be fine. If I had to guess however if your ever involved in any sort of accident it will probably create an issue and be a result of a contributing factor to your accident.

I thought seriously about buying a short 5th wheel and towing my boat behind it, but the more I thought about situations that might come up, I decided to go with a slide in truck camper (Lance 1181) and pull the boat behind it......You gotta have a lot of payload capacity to handle this big a slide in. It's not going to be as comfortable as your 25' trailer....but I have a dry bath and plenty of room for 2 of us with the full wall slide out.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

7. Member
    Ga allows it but only with fifth wheels. You are probably out of luck with the TT.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Double towing is illegal in many states.

My first problem is that the total length of the tow vehicle AND the travel trailer and boat is just too long. And a travel trailer really doesn't tow that well in the first place--just by itself.

My second problem is that the chassis structure of any travel trailer (and fifth wheel trailer) is just not that strong to begin with--much less having to modify it to take a heavy trailer hitch.
    Really. No problems since starting in 2005 and I do it with one of the heaviest bass boat barges known to man. LOL The trick is getting everything set up correctly. You can't just hook any two trailers together and take off.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    I have a 25 ft camper trailer (bumper pull) and was thinking about towing my Z8 boat behind the camper trailer. Has any one attempted this?? Sure would save travel miles when going to the lake not having to run double miles both ways. The camper trailer and boat trailer are about the same length. My tow vehicle will pull them with no problem it's a duramax 6.6 diesel.
    Your biggest problem is that your boat will weigh as much if not more than the TT. It would not be a good combo.

10. Member
    I double tow all the time, I'd never do it with the first one being a bumper pull.

11. Member
    Thanks everyone for their advice and comments, I believe I'll stick with either 2 tow vehicles or make 2 trips to play it safe..

I see it all the time in Texas. I'd like to do it but I'd be way over the legal length. My 5th wheel is about 44 feet total length. I tow with an F450 so I have plenty of truck but it's just too long of a combo. I see 35 foot 5th wheels and boats quite a bit in Texas.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I see it all the time in Texas. I'd like to do it but I'd be way over the legal length. My 5th wheel is about 44 feet total length. I tow with an F450 so I have plenty of truck but it's just too long of a combo. I see 35 foot 5th wheels and boats quite a bit in Texas.
    I doubt you would be any longer than me. I have a Mega Cab towing a 42' 5th wheel and a Z9. Plan your routes and don't try to go though any drive-thru restaurants and you'll be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    I doubt you would be any longer than me. I have a Mega Cab towing a 42' 5th wheel and a Z9. Plan your routes and don't try to go though any drive-thru restaurants and you'll be alright.
    My concern was being over the 65' legal length. Texas also requires a Class A which I have but it was a hassle to get. It's not a commercial but is called a Class A Exempt here.

i just listed my toy hauler on RVTrader, going to sell it. It's a 2015 Momentum 385TH.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    My concern was being over the 65' legal length. Texas also requires a Class A which I have but it was a hassle to get. It's not a commercial but is called a Class A Exempt here.

i just listed my toy hauler on RVTrader, going to sell it. It's a 2015 Momentum 385TH.
    Yeah, I'm a lot over the 65'.........have been since 2005.

I have towed my 18 ft champion behind 30 ft 5th wheel no problem St Louis to Clewiston last 5 years not legal in fla and ga I havent had a problem. I heard if your from out of state they wont bother you

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Not with a bumper pull. Not with a bumper pull. Not with a bumper pull.

Boat tongue weight is negative tongue weight on your truck, and that is dangerous as hell.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    I would not even tow a boat with bumper pull. I do tow with a receiver hitch ; 30' Dutchman Denali travel trailer; 20' Skeeter i-Class behind that. Hitches were properly installed and overbuilt to handle stresses. I pay over-length fee ($47) and am good to go. I travel around 65 mph and never get in a hurry.

19. Member
    I double towed with my previous bumper pull travel trailer and did not have a problem. I had plenty of tongue weight on my hitch and the weight distribution/anti sway was properly set up. I planned my routes carefully, even using google earth to scout the turns. I don't double tow now since my new trailer is larger and will put me 12' over the legal maximum.

What is the tounge weight on your boat?
    I bought a new 5th wheel and had a hitch put on the back. They stamped 300lb tounge weight max. I havent used it yet, so I'll have to do some checking, I'd hate to have my boat pass me on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    Really. No problems since starting in 2005 and I do it with one of the heaviest bass boat barges known to man. LOL The trick is getting everything set up correctly. You can't just hook any two trailers together and take off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast