Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1st post is question of BUMPER PULL, look how many posted using 5th wheels

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    1st post is question of BUMPER PULL, look how many posted using 5th wheels
    I started out doing it with a bumper pull hence my first response.

5th wheels are legal in most states. Bumper pull not so much.

Just bought a 27ft 5th wheel and will put my 18ft Ranger behind that.

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Bedevia View Post
    5th wheels are legal in most states. Bumper pull not so much.

Just bought a 27ft 5th wheel and will put my 18ft Ranger behind that.
    You won't have a problem, but Keep in mind most States that do allow it have a total length restriction of typically 75' +/- Minnesota is 75' and I believe Florida doesn't allow it at all.

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    I double tow all the time, I'd never do it with the first one being a bumper pull.

That boat looks alot like a 1994 Stratos 270 I just sold. Even if it's not...Nice!

Last edited by Bass AHolic; 01-24-2017 at 06:07 PM.

7. Member
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

Pretty sure you'll need a Class A license with Doubles endorsement to pull a 5th wheel and a boat. Most states do not allow a bumper pull and an additional trailer. PLUS, that's a really bad idea !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Banned
    Man I'm glad I came across this thread. ALOT of useless info here. First, how many of you that suggest not pulling a boat with a bumper pull camper HAVE ACTUALLY DONE IT? Probably not a one. I have towed over 20,000 miles towing a boat behind a bumper pull and never encountered a single problem with the setup. I pull with an F-250, pull a 25' bumper pull camper, and tow an 18' aluminum Tracker behind the camper. If your an experienced driver, your setup is safe, the rear trailer weight not greater than the first trailer, then you will have no issue with the setup. Enjoy pulling your doubles, 5er or BP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    If you read the rules on towing......its not legal to tow with double on 2 trailer ball systems.......5th wheel and a ball hitch behind ok in a lot of states but double ball hitch towing is a no-no
    Retired Submariner and Proud Of It !!!!!
    1995 Ranger R72
    1995 Intruder 115 60degree

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    Man I'm glad I came across this thread. ALOT of useless info here. First, how many of you that suggest not pulling a boat with a bumper pull camper HAVE ACTUALLY DONE IT? Probably not a one. I have towed over 20,000 miles towing a boat behind a bumper pull and never encountered a single problem with the setup. I pull with an F-250, pull a 25' bumper pull camper, and tow an 18' aluminum Tracker behind the camper. If your an experienced driver, your setup is safe, the rear trailer weight not greater than the first trailer, then you will have no issue with the setup. Enjoy pulling your doubles, 5er or BP.
    Would you hook a 20' glass boat that is as heavy as your camper and as long? His boat probably has 400+ pounds of tongue weight.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    Would you hook a 20' glass boat that is as heavy as your camper and as long? His boat probably has 400+ pounds of tongue weight.
    Negative. The question was about towing doubles in general with a BP. Obviously there are limits to anything. The tow trailer needs to have good working brakes, and heavier than the ponied trailer. In my case I pull at 70mph with no issues. Heck believe it or not I can even back the rig up and even put the boat where I want it. Lots of experience over the years.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by astrofxs View Post
    If you read the rules on towing......its not legal to tow with double on 2 trailer ball systems.......5th wheel and a ball hitch behind ok in a lot of states but double ball hitch towing is a no-no
    It is legal to tow with 2 bumper towed trailers. Maybe not in your state, but others like here in Missouri, it's good to go.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    Negative. The question was about towing doubles in general with a BP. Obviously there are limits to anything. The tow trailer needs to have good working brakes, and heavier than the ponied trailer. In my case I pull at 70mph with no issues. Heck believe it or not I can even back the rig up and even put the boat where I want it. Lots of experience over the years.
    The original question was about specifically hooking a Z8 (4500# outfit with around 400# tongue weight) to a 25' BP. Backing two bumper pull trailers are simple to back compared to backing a 5th wheel with a BP. I back my 5th wheel with boat all the time.

16. Member
    Been pulling this combo for three years. 5th wheels pull doubles really good, the problem with bumper pulls is you can get the weight on the axles wrong and get whipping and lose control especially going down hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member

here is a video

18. Member
    Interesting thoughts here.....

I've double towed with 5th wheels and boat or golf cart trailers for 30+ years but would never do it with a bumper pull. The reason is the whip or reaction the sway of the first tow puts on the rear tow (not the same with a 5er). They can get swaying side to side and in opposing directions, almost impossible to control. As shown in the video above, imagine another trailer attached to the back of it.. This is also part of why double bottom semi trailers are outlawed in many states. Once that rear tow starts to wiggle side to side it is very hard to stop it and is very dangerous for those on either side. I've been there and would not want to try it again. Those that have done it successfully either had very good sway/weight control, great driving skills or very lucky.

19. Member
    I have a dry bath and plenty of room for 2 of us with the full wall slide out.

I think most states don't allow bumper pull trailers to run combos.

As far as someone saying over length, I think most states have done away with with over all length. But they do enforce trailer length.

I used another ther guys tractor years ago because mine was in the shop. Front trailer-32 ft. Back trailer 28.5---- tractor, 27 ft. I stretched it out and when I hit the scale in Ne. Everything wouldn't fit on the platform scale. Scale dork wasn't amused.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast