Thread: PATOKA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PATOKA

I grew up there and have not fished Patoka in many years. I will be home to do some deer hunting the first two weeks of November and bringing the boat incase I tag out. Any help what and where to go would be much appreciated. Not looking to steal anyones info just catch some fish while I am there.

Don't expect to fish any grass. It started disappearing last year, and its pretty much gone this year. Probably due to high water, but no one seems to know for sure. If you stay in Painter Creek and throw a crankbait, spinnerbait, and a jig at every piece of wood you see, you'll do fine.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    It's been the toughest year I've ever had on Patoka. I've, literally, only found a couple blades of grass this year. Keeping my fingers crossed for next spring.

4. Member
    So?? If the grass growes in 5 to 10 foot of water, lake raises a few feet for a year or two, would that not mean that the grass would still be available in most places. What was 5 is now 8 feet so the grass would grow in those areas?? Just asking.!? Main purpose of the lake is flood control, secondary is water supply for a huge population, third is public enjoyment, last is revenue from recreation. Grass dont mean much to most people. I think that the DNR decieded that the grass needed to go for thier own reasons.

5. Member
    Lakes / grass goes in cycles. Look at Monroe the last few years! 10 years ago you couldn't find grass on Monroe but now it is everywhere and the lake is fishing better than ever. Patoka will have a couple of years where it will be tough but the grass will come back and the fish will too! Till then we will just have to adjust.

6. Member
    Good point from a great guy. Hate to fish against him is a real competition.

7. Member
    Well , I agree grass has it's purpose and Patoka has lived and died by it from the beginning. For me I like fishing waters that offer many areas void of grass , I like gravel points, drops, humps.......free of grass, however most of those waterways have a flowing river running through them giving much more life to the inhabitants than slow flowing Patoka does. It will all work out.........all in time.

Went today, boy it was tuff. Reminds me of Pigwick before I learned it. I want to spend a few days in a cabin next to the lake so I can learn what it takes to catch more fish. What are the ones to stay away from?
    Thanks

9. Member
    I was there this Sat/Sun and it was really tough out there. Looks like the lake is turning over...plenty of off color water. Hopefully it will get better in the coming weeks. Water is around 65 degrees in most of the lake.

Dan

Dan Brinegar
    Skeeter zx250
    250 HPDI

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uk2thdoc View Post
    I was there this Sat/Sun and it was really tough out there. Looks like the lake is turning over...plenty of off color water. Hopefully it will get better in the coming weeks. Water is around 65 degrees in most of the lake.

Dan
    Took 13lbs to win the USA bassin Saturday. Hentrup and John won again. Imagine that. Those dudes are something else up there.

11. Member
    I start my fall vacation this coming Friday the 28th and don't go back to the office until November 14th. I do this every year and as in years past Ill be on the lake as much as possible. I'm in a white 19' Bumble Bee, if you see me swing by and say hi!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    I start my fall vacation this coming Friday the 28th and don't go back to the office until November 14th. I do this every year and as in years past Ill be on the lake as much as possible. I'm in a white 19' Bumble Bee, if you see me swing by and say hi!!

Maybe we can talk about cabins also.

13. Member
    Well Patoka is really showing its true self this fall, I've fished it 3 mornings now starting last Friday and I've got very little to show for it. All my normal fall areas and patterns are dead and it's taking everything I've got just to boat a fish, very disappointing..........hopefully over the next couple of weeks things will get better........

14. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I told Chris about your luck at Patoka so far Robert. She says no offense, but it makes her feel better about catching nothing. Seriously, hope you get into some fish soon.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I told Chris about your luck at Patoka so far Robert. She says no offense, but it makes her feel better about catching nothing. Seriously, hope you get into some fish soon.
    Gonna regroup and hit it again in the morning.......New game plan and new area!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    Gonna regroup and hit it again in the morning.......New game plan and new area!!
    Somebody really likes to punish himself. Not sure if I should admire your persistence or feel sorry for you.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    Somebody really likes to punish himself. Not sure if I should admire your persistence or feel sorry for you.
    I'm off work pretty much the month of November.........I can float on the water and be happy with it!

I was kinda thinking of making a trip down, and hitting monroe on the way back. I've always done well in the fall, in areas that I don't see get hammered in the fall.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

19. Member
    Thanks guys. So just wing it and hope for a bite got it. haha

20. Member
    Well my curse was lifted today.....sorta! Lol I caught 9 today with 4 keepers! I lost a real nice fish early this morning, and then another just after lunch. The wind has been a pain all this week and today it was calm and I was able to fish the way I needed to. It appears, at least in the area I've been fishing that you pretty much have to hit them on the head, they aren't chasing anything........so at least for me it's been a finesse thing. Hopefully my luck will continue.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast