2016 Phoenix 921 Boat Cover

Hello Phoenix owners - I am getting out of my Stratos 201 Evolution and into a 2016 Phoenix 921. Picking the boat up back in Missouri next week (~1200 mile road trip one way). Already ordered me some of that white transport film/tape used on cars being hauled cross country and plan to cover the hull as much as possible.

Main question is are there any special considerations or "need to know" items for installing the tow cover or additional watch items for towing with the cover on.

Prefer not to tow with the cover on at all - but never know about the weather. Thanks and I look forward to any assistance provided.

2. Member
    I've always put it on and roll. That's it.

3. Member
    Make sure you put it on tight or it'll come over the rub rail and leave light scratches on the gelcoat.

Basically saying improper installation will result in light scuffing that will need to be buffed out.
    Safe travels!
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

4. Member
    Remove the windshield and make sure the cover is tight below the rubrail, you'll be fine.

5. Member
    Definitely remove windshield. My dealer told me that if towing long distances, covered, he would put a bed sheet on both sides between boat and cover.

6. Member
    I've also seen guys put saran wrap around the rubrail area before putting cover on. I haven't towed mine more than 250 miles one way with the cover on but in that 250 miles I didn't have any issues. Installed the cover poles, removed windshield, made sure the cover was pulled down on both sides and started tightening one side a bit then moved to the other. Alternate from side to side so it pulls even.

7. Member
    +1
    I run plastic wrap from the bow to the motor (2) times. Then the cover goes on-tight. No scratches at all. Helps to wipe down the area being covered right before u put the plastic wrap on. For about $5 bucks it's pretty cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked920 View Post
    I've also seen guys put saran wrap around the rubrail area before putting cover on. I haven't towed mine more than 250 miles one way with the cover on but in that 250 miles I didn't have any issues. Installed the cover poles, removed windshield, made sure the cover was pulled down on both sides and started tightening one side a bit then moved to the other. Alternate from side to side so it pulls even.

8. Member
    Is it safe to assume the "covered poles" you mention are put into the same holes as the front and aft seat?? sean a couple pictures just want to be sure. Gentleman I am getting the boat from has never used the cover. Thanks

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the poles don't go in the seat holes, they are free standing with support straps, they will not move, the new covers tow very well
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    Is it safe to assume the "covered poles" you mention are put into the same holes as the front and aft seat?? sean a couple pictures just want to be sure. Gentleman I am getting the boat from has never used the cover. Thanks
    White straps go in front cleats, set that pole on front deck. Run the black straps to the rear grab bars, that pole will set right on top of the net door. Then put the passenger side pole in if its a single console. Pull the slack out using the black straps on the rear. Also mine has a Fortrex and I put the trolling motor prop cover that came with it on. It's really simple to install once you get the hang of it.

Damn! I just got back from a 600 mile each way trip and my cover made some marks behind the grab rails. It wore the gel coat thin on both sides. The cover was tight! Every time I stopped I checked it. Perhaps it was too tight. Just tiny little marks but geez-louise, that sucks.
    1. do you think the shrink wrap deal would have prevented this? 2. what do you think I can do to fix it? buffing?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Talk to BlueBird, he can tell ya what to use
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

13. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Remove the windshield and make sure the cover is tight below the rubrail, you'll be fine.
    I tow long distances just like this, but I lay a hand towel over the TM prop

Also a folded hand towel over the front cleat on starboard (drivers) side.
    The cleats stay up due to tension from the pole setup and it is tight against the cover.

The passenger side front cleat does not have a problem due to the cover going over the TM keeps the cover up and off it.
    Leaving in an hour for a 5.5 hr drive to Lake Chickamauga.

No saran wrap, no scratches anywhere. Just put good tension on the cover. Check it when you stop...Also,
    Remember to check your wheels (bearings) whenever you stop to see if they are super hot, or leaking.
    Have a safe trip and congrats on new boat. We want to see pics!

14. Member
    Bath towel on trolling motor prop. Wrapped 4 times with Saran wrap then I go the extra mile and 3 big bath towels down the side above the rubrail. Then cover tight. Mine is a 2015 and looks like it come off the showroom floor. Cover mine towing 99% of time.
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS