hole shot help needed

I have a Ranger Z118C with a mercury 150HP fourstroke motor. Currently running a 21P Mercury Bravo1 FS prop. About 3-1/2" prop to pad. I have upgraded batteries, from group 27 to group 31 which added some weight. I have also added a 8" slidmaster jackplate. and also added a pair of talons.

when I am by myself with about 1/2 tank of fuel and a tournament load in the boat, the holes shot is about 4-5 seconds, which is acceptable. When i have a passenger, depending on the size of the passenger, the hole shot is much worse, from 8-10 seconds maybe as much as 20 seconds.

I recently tried a 19P Trophy Plus prop (suggested by a dealer) and that prop just over reved my motor.
    I have also tried a 21P Rev4 prop and by myself, the holeshot is about the same as the Bravo1 FS, however with a passenger, it is worse than the Bravo1 FS.

Prior to adding the talons, the Bravo1 seemed to work well with a passenger and tournament load. So it looks like i may have to live without the talons if i want a decent holeshot.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Member
    Send your Bravo FS prop to Mark Croxton and have a set of PVS holes added behind your current holes. Then tune it for holeshot. You need more venting with the added weight.

3. Member
    Raise the motor first. Raise it till you lose water pressure. I have a Nitro Z18 with the 150 4s and I'm running a 23 Tempest around 2 1/4 still get 30 psi on wot. That 150 should spin that 21 bravo easy.

4. Member
    As John and tas said, raise the motor, test, raise. Do this until performance or water pressure drops and lower to last setting. Once you get it set up, get hole shot time & rpm and wot speed info. Then send to Mark with all your info if you need to.

5. Member
    How many rpm's are you turning at take off and WOT? Raising the motor will help but it might need another set of PVS holes drilled in it too.

6. Member
    Remember that the Four Strokes don't turn the higher RPM's at launch as a two stroke. Don Weed told me my 150 4S should turn around 3500 on take-off. I'm running a Mercury 150 HP, 4 S with a Bravo 1 FS, 21P (3 PVS holes open and 1 closed), Atlas 8" plate and have the prop to pad at 2 1/2". Great hole shot no matter how it's loaded and tops out at 5850 RPM at WOT (58 GPS). Took a lot of props before I turned to Scott Reichow (scott.reichow@mercmarine.com) at Mercury Racing. I went with his suggestions and never looked back. I have a 2015 Ranger Z118C, not a speed daemon by any stretch.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

7. Member
    It still needs to turn at least 3500 and most boats hole shot best when turning 3500-4000 rpm's at take off 2 cycle or 4 cycle. So again I'll ask how many rpm's at take off.

8. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    It still needs to turn at least 3500 and most boats hole shot best when turning 3500-4000 rpm's at take off 2 cycle or 4 cycle. So again I'll ask how many rpm's at take off.
    This. RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

9. Member
    A holeshot plate on my 8inch slide master jack plate has helped my holeshot after adding dual talons and a 3rd battery. Seems like almost everyone that ads talons has to pitch down or adjust motor height and venting to get holeshot back. You have to realize you have added weight to the back of the boat and also moved that weight back farther with the jackplate. It will make the nose of the boat sit higher than stock. It's a little frustrating, but keep at it you'll get there!

10. Member
    Here is a post with some additional information I got when trying to pin mine down.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....roke+hole+shot
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s