80lb Terrova with I PIlot Issues

2 weeks ago during a tourny, while on spot lock the trolling motor just stopped, lost power, would not turn on rest of day. Trailered 3 hours home and then it worked. I checked everything, replaced the breakers, with new MK 60 amp breakers and,Then last weekend on Sat it wanted/tried to power on (for 30mins) , but no luck. I trailed to BPS, tech looked at it (Of course it worked like a champ and I informed tech of situation), said nothing wrong. So I go home, try again Sunday, it worked all day. Then last night, I was prepping for upcoming tourny, going to link a new remote, guess what NO POWER! Will not do anything except, the battery test button will work. I replaced the plug, the receipticle (both 125V 30AMPS). I mean the trolling motor is barely a year old and these issues. Its like it has Gremlins, works one day, then next day, it wont. Batterys are 1 year old, keep them charged, I mean even the trolling motor said batteries were at full charge, but no green power light or anything.

Has anyone experienced similar issues. I have checked everything and the tech did as well. No loose connections, breakers not tripped, tight connections, no corrison. Just baffles the mind. I am thinking a motherboard or something. Any help would be appreciated.

JD

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

2. Member
    The symptoms are typical of a bad connection -- not a trolling motor symptom. I understand you have looked at everything, but the Terrova is very sensitive to low voltage. Even a battery that is dropping out under the load will cause these symptoms. My advice would be to disassemble the plug (remove the back) then plug in the front part -- this gives access to the terminals where the wires are connected. Then, using a voltmeter (not a test light) check the voltage at the plug. At that point, attempt to turn the motor on and see if the voltage holds, or if it drops. If it holds, the next step is to check the same way where the voltage goes into the control board. If you have good voltage there, check the voltage out wires the same way. If you have correct voltage in (25V or more), and no voltage out, with the motor turn on, then it is a control board problem. If you have voltage out, then you'll check the wiring in the head of the Terrova the same way.
    BTW, water in the lower unit can cause this. You would check for water by removing the prop, then removing the bottom bolt when looking at the prop end of the lower unit.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks, for the advice will go look for water (Going now). Also, I have replaced the plug and the recipticle last night. I and the tech checked the voltage at the plug. It is receiving 24v. I never heard of the water issue. What could cause that? I purchased it last September and this issue. I am worried that if I try to take the head off, they will not honor the warranty.

Thanks

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    Thanks, for the advice will go look for water (Going now). Also, I have replaced the plug and the recipticle last night. I and the tech checked the voltage at the plug. It is receiving 24v. I never heard of the water issue. What could cause that? I purchased it last September and this issue. I am worried that if I try to take the head off, they will not honor the warranty.

Thanks
    Is the 24V with the motor set to constant or turned on -- as you know the Terrova needs to be deployed or the handle held down to take it to the "ready" mode. Any battery connection will/should return battery voltage without a load. Water intrusion can be caused by a seal that is cut with fishing line (most common), or a cracked shaft (not as likely but does happen). BTW 24V is not enough to run the trolling motor. A series connected 24V system should return a minimum of 25V, and that 1 volt can be a game changer. When I say the head, I'm talking about the top of the trolling motor where the wires go in. There is 4 screws under the bottom that holds the top part on..
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

Ok, just checked for water. No sign of water. The entire bolt was dry. So I re assembled and back to drawing board. Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately that wasnt the issue, any more suggestions?

The 24v was when the tech turned it on constant and tested the battery output.

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

6. Member
    Ok, just checked for water. No sign of water. The entire bolt was dry. So I re assembled and back to drawing board. Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately that wasnt the issue, any more suggestions?

The 24v was when the tech turned it on constant and tested the battery output.
    24V is not enough to run the Terrova. At 24V, with minimal voltage drop, you have two dead batteries.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

So, 24.6 and 24.8v isnt good enough? Batterys are only a year old, purchased and installed same time I got the Terrova. So which tyoe battery do you suggest? These are type 29s.. I can plug them into the charger and try the TM and still nothing or unplug after full charge, same thing. So u think it could still be the batterys?

Thanks
    Last edited by tritonboy2001; 10-08-2016 at 08:19 PM.

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

8. Member
    So, 24.6 and 24.8v isnt good enough? Batterys are only a year old, purchased and installed same time I got the Terrova. So which tyoe battery do you suggest? These are type 29s.. I can plug them into the charger and try the TM and still nothing or unplug after full charge, same thing. So u think it could still be the batterys?

Thanks
    You said 24, not 24.6 or 24.8. 24 is a 12V average per battery. Most batteries are considered dead at apx 12.2V, fully charged at 12.75 after setting to get the surface charge off. 24.8 is a 12.4 average which is about a 50% charged, but should be good enough to run the trolling motor, if you're getting that (after the voltage drop under a load) with the trollingmotor on and set to constant. I'm not condemning the control board because they don't "come and go" which is what I got from the initial post. With no water in the lower unit, I believe you have a battery problem or a connection problem. Trace your voltage as I suggested initially, or take it to a service center that will trace the voltage. Obviously BassPro didn't dig deep enough.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the info. Will try to trace tomorrow, if no luck will drop off at service center Tuesday morn, see what they say. Hopefully they will not keep it long.

Thanks again for your help.

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

Ok, double checked the voltage, all connections, fuses, and breakers today. All look good. Voltage to the TM while plugged in is 24.8.. Hit the reset button on breakers, all good there. So I am really thinking some issue internally, motherboard, or something.

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

11. Member
    Ok, double checked the voltage, all connections, fuses, and breakers today. All look good. Voltage to the TM while plugged in is 24.8.. Hit the reset button on breakers, all good there. So I am really thinking some issue internally, motherboard, or something.
    If you're getting 24.8 with the trolling motor turned on and set to constant, there is a problem with the trolling motor. If you're getting 24.8 before turning the trolling motor on, it will depend on the voltage drop on whether the motor will run. Must know the voltage when loaded.
    I'm not saying it's not something with the trolling motor, I am saying with the information you're giving (or that I'm understanding) we havn't ruled out a bad battery. You said all the connections "look" good. Many times you can't tell if a connection is good or bad by looking at it. It needs to be disconnected, cleaned, and reconnected to you "know" it's clean. Just trying to save you a possible repair bill on something you can take care of.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

John,

Thanks for the advice. I cleaned the terminal connections with a wire brush, both at the batterys and the back of the the plug receipticle. They are nice and shiny! Im no tech but I have spent days looking over connections, testing voltage everywhere, changed few parts, checked wiring for cuts cleaned connections, etc. I guess I will have to take in in to a service provider. I just dont understand how it can be the voltage , if it is. The TM is getting power and the battery test button reads either full charge or 3/4 charge on batterys, but yet the green light fails to come one and fails to power up when released/deployed. I mean they say these TMs are suppose to last longer on one charge than other TMs?

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

13. Member
    Jason, I understand what you're saying and if you're comfortable that the batteries are not the issue, it needs to go to an ASC. There is a reed switch that is magnet operated that is epoxied into the mount. When the handle is released, it removes the magnetic field from the switch to turn the trolling motor on. This switch is part of the control board. If this is the problem, you would have no voltage into the control board for the trolling motor, however the wires governing the battery indicator would still work. A simple of check of voltage in from an ASC (since it's under warranty), then checking voltage out will tell if it's control board.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

John,

Thanks, It has to be in the TM, I just went and replaced the batterys since they were still under warranty. 2 new batterys with manufactures date of Oct 2016 and still the same thing. It reads the batterys are full, but nothing when TM deploys. I am planning to take it in tomorrow. Just hope they dont keep it too long. Thanks again for your help.

JD

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

Ok, problem solved. Dropped off the TM this morn at a service rep. By 10am, they had identified and fixed the problem. Turns out to been a main control board went bad. Hope this is not a common or recurring problem..

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

16. Banned
    Hey John, If that Reed Switch went bad couldnt you just jumper out the wires so it stays on.? Wouldnt the control board think it was deployed?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Hey John, If that Reed Switch went bad couldnt you just jumper out the wires so it stays on.? Wouldnt the control board think it was deployed?
    Not sure if the reed switch in this case is normally open or normally closed. If normally open, cutting a wire with break the circuit. If normally closed, cutting a wire would give that effect.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]