Thread: 250xs oil leak?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 250xs oil leak?

S/N: 1E050587
    Ive noticed oil leaking out of the lower cowl. There is no doubt it's engine oil when you put your hand on it, and it appears to be extremely clean, like its straight out of the reservoir. I looked at the motor and cant tell where in the world it is coming from other than there is oil pooled up on the bottom of the cowl on the inside. I felt all around the engine oil reservoir, hoses and fittings, and it is all dry, and cap is tight. Is this open fitting a "bleed off" of some sort? But even the fitting pictured is all dry. Looking all around the motor (without taking anything off), I don't see a wet spot anywhere. Of course I cant see the bottom. What do I have going on here? Thanks

21XRD Bullet, Mercury 250XS
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

20XRD Bullet, 2.4L Bridgeport Merc
    899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

2. Member
    Last edited by Squire; 01-22-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Make sure the dipstick is fully seated. My Tx pard just had this same thing just 2 weeks ago...
    What "dipstick"? There is no "dipstick".

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shane23ss View Post
    S/N: 1E050587
    Ive noticed oil leaking out of the lower cowl. There is no doubt it's engine oil when you put your hand on it, and it appears to be extremely clean, like its straight out of the reservoir. I looked at the motor and cant tell where in the world it is coming from other than there is oil pooled up on the bottom of the cowl on the inside. I felt all around the engine oil reservoir, hoses and fittings, and it is all dry, and cap is tight. Is this open fitting a "bleed off" of some sort? But even the fitting pictured is all dry. Looking all around the motor (without taking anything off), I don't see a wet spot anywhere. Of course I cant see the bottom. What do I have going on here? Thanks

Remove the lower cowling and degrease the motor.
    Run the motor of the muffs looking for leaks.
    Spray Foot powder helps make oil leak trails visible.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Remove the lower cowling and degrease the motor.
    Run the motor of the muffs looking for leaks.
    Spray Foot powder helps make oil leak trails visible.
    Damn. I was hoping it was something quick and simple. Guess fish-off tournament is a no go for tomorrow
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

6. Member
    I don't know if the XS has the same type of oil pump as the Pro XS but if it does it is probably your oil pump leaking

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kah3710 View Post
    I don't know if the XS has the same type of oil pump as the Pro XS but if it does it is probably your oil pump leaking
    You're probably right
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

8. Member
    So this is what it looks like at the bottom of the oil pump

Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

9. Member
    Had similar oil leak on my 225 opti. Oil dripping out of the front of the engine just like you pic shows. Took top and bottom cowling off. Degreased it let it dry and ran it with muffs. Long story short and seversl hours later. Ended up being two check valves broke at the barbed nipple. Wiggled every hose where i saw wet spot. Expensive lil suckers.
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystonekiller View Post
    Had similar oil leak on my 225 opti. Oil dripping out of the front of the engine just like you pic shows. Took top and bottom cowling off. Degreased it let it dry and ran it with muffs. Long story short and seversl hours later. Ended up being two check valves broke at the barbed nipple. Wiggled every hose where i saw wet spot. Expensive lil suckers.
    Dang it!
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

11. Member
    Looks like your oil pump is leaking ....oil around screw . wipe it off and run on hose and see if it comes back ?

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Make sure the dipstick is fully seated. My Tx pard just had this same thing just 2 weeks ago...
    Hope you dont give mych advice on 2 stroke outboards
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    Hope you dont give mych advice on 2 stroke outboards
    Probably a good thing eh? I am new to 2 strokes, my previous 3 boats were 4 strokes. I guess the thing I was trying to say is there is a cap on the motor oil reservoir on the port side that keeps coming loose for my partner. He trailers quite a bit a good distance and has had this happen a few times. He has taken to adding a wrap or two of Teflon tape around it to make the seal tighter. thanks for going easy on this newby, my desire to help is not in line with my ability. back to lurk mode, thanks for all the information guys, I love reading these threads to learn how to self help more.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Ya don't know what to say. Been running Mercs sense the day they've been putting reservoirs on motors and never had this happen. Most of the time its everything I got to loosen it if I have to for some reason
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil pump is leaking. Replace pump, and have an Oil Pump Prime sequence run on the Computer Diagnostic System.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Oil pump is leaking. Replace pump, and have an Oil Pump Prime sequence run on the Computer Diagnostic System.
    Thanks Don, it's at the shop now
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

17. Member
    I had a similar issue with my 2015. All it was was a loose cable tie around one of the hoses. Was a bit of a pain to diagnose but was basically slow drip when running. Hope this is helpful

18. Member
    Mech called me yesterday, said pump was leaking. Said it had no leak at idle on the muffs, but when under load on the water it's leaking a drop about every 300 yards or so. Says he's gonna replace the pump and do a prime sequence on it.
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Mine has the same leak, would this be covered under the gold warranty? My factory warranty has expired but have the gold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast