Thread: 250xs oil leak?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by La Boy View Post
    Mine has the same leak, would this be covered under the gold warranty? My factory warranty has expired but have the gold.
    Oil pump is listed as a covered component under the Gold Protection Plan.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Ok guys, new problem :( looks like the reservoir on the motor is now leaking, appears to be out of the top, I'm guessing around the screw in cap. Question is, once I replace this, the oil prime sequence needs to be done, correct? Other question is there any fix to this happening? Since this happened I've talked to several guys I know with Opti's and this has happened to all of them, some multiple times. It appears there is a major design flaw with these reservoirs
    21XRD Bullet, Mercury 250XS
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

20XRD Bullet, 2.4L Bridgeport Merc
    899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

3. Member
    Yes, oil pump prime is needed
    Reservoir cap is tightened too tight at some point, and the threads strip. Don't over tighten the new reservoir cap, and everything will be fine.

4. Member
    Why is there no fix for these leaking oil pumps? I've had 3 on my 250 ProXS and they ALL leaked.
    01' Kenner 23v - 16' 350 Vrod
    MotorGuide - Lenco - Power Pole - Garmin - Bobs Machine

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave20 View Post
    Why is there no fix for these leaking oil pumps? I've had 3 on my 250 ProXS and they ALL leaked.
    Good question
    21XRD Bullet, Mercury 250XS
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

20XRD Bullet, 2.4L Bridgeport Merc
    899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave20 View Post
    The approved repair method is replacement with the latest version of the pump (there was a part number change).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks guys for all of the good info, I appear to have the deadly oil pump leak on my 2013 250 ProXS, approx 112 hours, off to the shop on Monday to be replaced.

And Don thanks for confirming it is covered under Gold, I still have another year on mine. Might be time to trade mine in and get a new one.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12