Thread: Vortex caps?

Vortex caps?

Taking the boat out today and heard a sound coming from my wheel. So i drove back to the driveway and pulled the wheel cover off and found that the grease cover was off. After a closer look i found that the cap broke and the threads were still in the hub. I had an extra cap and put it on hand tight...so i decided to look at the other side an found that its cracked also at the same place. Whats going on? Any one else have this issue? They are only 1 and a half years old. I put 3 on order and don't want to pull the boat till i can replace the other damaged one. Like i said they are only hand tight so i know i didn't over torque them. Ideas? Thanks!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

2. Member
    Mine did the exact same thing two year old boat.

Wow, just got three caps in the mail today. I looked everywhere for them and nobody had them in stock. Ebay didn't either. So i started thinking about other options and bought the turbo-lube caps...they have the same thread pattern just a hole in the center with a rubber plug and are somewhat clear not black. I re-lubed my bearings and now i'm back in business. During my search someone told me that tiedown engineering had a fire a few months back and parts are hard to get??
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

4. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    I had one crack on a 3 year old boat but ive boat 20k miles on them and launched like 1000 times so it didnt bother me too much. I pumped fresh grease in and put a new cap on good as new

6. Member
    Just had one go out on my ranger alot of people are suggesting changing back to grease whats your thoughts

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle12 View Post
    Just had one go out on my ranger alot of people are suggesting changing back to grease whats your thoughts
    Vortex is greased hubs. Turbo Lube is oil.

I've got both but prefer the oil. I use Lucas Hub Oil
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC