Thread: Tires

Tires

I am thinking about putting Goodyear Wrangler all terrain adventure tires 275/65R18 116T SL OWL ALL Season with Kevlar on my 2010 Ford f150 crew cab.Does anyone have these on their truck? I'm looking for a good quiet riding tire on the highway and one that is good in the snow.I am thinking with the kevlar they would be a little rough riding & maybe not so quiet.I have the Goodyear Wrangler SRA P275/65R18 114T OWL All Seasons on now which have 143,000 & about 7 or 8 thousand left well satisfied with them.Any info would be deeply appreciated.
    [B]Al Spinozzi
    Nazareth, PA

2004 Stratos 285 ProXL Evinrude 150[B]

3. Member

USA

If you are staying on the highway/road then get the Michelins. I had them and loved them. Switched to Goodrich to save money (because I didn't drive it as much anymore ), and wished I had gotten the Michelins ( lost I mpg and a bit of the smooth ride ). If you go off road then I don't have the experience to tell you if the Michelins will work. But they are great on wet roads and never got stuck in the snow. Good Luck.

4. Member
    Michelin's Defender's on my Suburban and hardly any noise's at hwy speeds.

5. Member
    I've been most pleased with my Michelin AT2s.

6. Member
    I went with Michelin LTX on my 3/4 ton diesel truck after 2 sets of OEM Firestones and one set of Toyo Open Country A/T's. The Michelins are wearing great, and are very quiet (for A/T tread.)

For the most part, I avoid Goodyear tires as they're lightweight and not so structurally sound.

I did put a set of Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed tires (LT/E) on my fifth wheel trailer, and consider it to be a completely top line tire. Bridgestone's Duravis R500 tread is more like what a street truck would use.

BF GOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A this tread style, bought a new set few yrs ago.. run em down, then put 8ply Laredo which was better traction etc.. the Good rich on a rainy road would spin a right rear when starting off on a incline with a right turn. Wasn't good on wet boat ramp either..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    BF GOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A this tread style, bought a new set few yrs ago.. run em down, then put 8ply Laredo which was better traction etc.. the Good rich on a rainy road would spin a right rear when starting off on a incline with a right turn. Wasn't good on wet boat ramp either..
    My Goodyears spin when starting off on a rainy road also and boat ramp also. what i don't like is i had 4 flats with them seem to puncture easy.
    [B]Al Spinozzi
    Nazareth, PA

Seems like everyone is having good luck with the Michelins may have to go that way.I like a good riding tire on the highway with some good tread in case i run into snow and for towing my bass boat.
    [B]Al Spinozzi
    Nazareth, PA

10. Member
    I have a set of Cooper Discoverer H/T on my 08 Tahoe and they have been great. No wet slip or noise and are wearing very well.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Sport...VERER-H-T.aspx

How... in.... the.... WORLD do people get 100,000 miles out of a set of tires??
    I'm about to put new tires on my truck, the original Bridgestones have about 25,000 miles. I've never gotten more than 25-30,000 out of a set of BFG All-Terrains. I've run (and build) Michelins, and never get more than 30-35,000 miles from a set. As well, my co-workers don't get huge miles out of their tires. Keep in mind that we get snow, so generally don't wear tires until they're bald, but 100,000 is a ton of miles.
    Scott

2011 Stratos 186XT
    Mercury Optimax 115
    Lowrance HDS10 x2, LSS1
    Minn Kota 24v 70lbs
    8' Talon
    V-T2 Live Well Vents

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I'm about to put new tires on my truck, the original Bridgestones have about 25,000 miles. I've never gotten more than 25-30,000 out of a set of BFG All-Terrains. I've run (and build) Michelins, and never get more than 30-35,000 miles from a set. As well, my co-workers don't get huge miles out of their tires. Keep in mind that we get snow, so generally don't wear tires until they're bald, but 100,000 is a ton of miles.
    Keep your tire front end alignment in,tires rotated and balanced. Make sure all PM on the front end is done and check it yearly. I will get 75-80k miles out of a set of Cooper At tires and have for over 10 years. Just pt a set of tires on and don't rotate or keep your from alingment and your not gonna get but about 20-30k miles out of a set.

Quote Originally Posted by jentrick View Post
    Keep your tire front end alignment in,tires rotated and balanced. Make sure all PM on the front end is done and check it yearly. I will get 75-80k miles out of a set of Cooper At tires and have for over 10 years. Just pt a set of tires on and don't rotate or keep your from alingment and your not gonna get but about 20-30k miles out of a set.
    This is on fully maintained trucks, my current truck is a 2014, and the tires are rotated on schedule. No unusual wear patterns. Even when I ran older vehicles, I maintained them, and kept the alignment up.
    Perhaps if I drove with a light foot, and most of the miles were on what is the equivalent of your Interstate highways, I could get better tire life.

I put Cooper AT/3's on my F-150, and they are pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    About 40 - 45k is the max I've ever gotten out of any AT aggressive tread tire. I've run Wranglers, BFG's, Firestones, General Grabbers, Dayton's, you name it on 4 different trucks over the last nearly 30 years. I usually started having issues with belt separation before the tread was completely gone.
    Most places I've talked to indicate an even more aggressive tread like a muddler will wear out even faster, 25-30k.

The best AT's I've had had a "highway tread pattern". Far less aggressive, less noise and I've gotten up to 65k + out of those.

It's pretty simple, the less rubber meeting the road means more wear on that rubber. More aggressive tread patterns wear out faster than AT tires with less aggressive tread patterns.

16. Member
    If I DONT get at least 80,000 out of a set of tires I feel like I didn't get a good deal. And I run cheap milestone tires ($81 bucks a tire) they have been GREAT tires ! I do drive a lot of miles though usually between 53 and 55,000 a year.

17. Member
    I put a set of the Cooper Discoverer ATP on my truck in September and have been really impressed with them so far. The ride quiet and soft on the highway and I have no doubt they'll do good in the snow as well.
    Bowling Green State University Fishing Team President
    2013 Skeeter ZX21
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Just took off some lemon Firestone at tires at 6000 miles there Almost shot put toyo ct tires on today in a blizzard and very happy. As they rate there own tire.... Life should be excellent

19. Member
    I had my Tundra serviced today and of course they measured my tread depth on the paperwork. I'm still showing 6/32 at 45,000 miles on the factory 275/65/18 Michelin AT's. I keep the air pressure at what Toyota recommends and rotate every 5,000 miles. I'm in no way an "easy" driver. I plan on replacing these when they hit 4/32 because I don't like running any tire less than that with the same tire in an "E" load rating. They stand up a little better and come with 17/32 tread instead of 13/32 on the standard loads. Plus they are 4.00 each less on tire rack.