Red Ear Transitions

Ok this has probably been answered here before but I couldn't find anything. After the Redear leave the beds in the spring where do those little buggers go (I know, I know in the lake lol )? I catch bluegills suspended around grass and brush but I cant seem to find any redears. Then what does their fall transition look like? Also, what baits are you using to catch then on?

Thanks in advance.
    "A mans gotta believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing"

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I've never had great luck fishing for them during the summer, but I have caught them. Don't take this as true, but it's what I've figured out and been told.

IMO, redear fishing in the summer is spot fishing. You have to know a spot to catch them. Those spots are pretty close to spots that are good for bass, but redear don't usually suspend like bass. They eat snails, mollusks and bottom dwelling insects, so that's where they spend a lot of time. I've never caught them during the summer less than 17 or 18 ft down in a reservoir. You'll usually find them in the same kind of cover where you'd find them in shallow water if it's there.

Whatever you fish, put a worm on it. Little spoons or jigs with worm chunks fished right on the bottom. Usually pretty tough to fish as deep as you need to if it's very windy. I've tried adding split shot up the line from the jig to get the bait down there, but it's never done much good.

It's hard to cover a lot of water fishing that way, so it's hard to catch many if you don't have good spots. Hard to have good spots if you don't fish a lot for them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I've been told they like to hang around bluffs on the big reservoirs in the summer time. Can't verify that myself.