Thread: Trim Tab

Trim Tab

Just wanted to check and see if anyone by chance would have an extra Trim tab laying around. I saw on the Gambler web site they sale them in pairs only. I tore on my right trim tab and actuator this weekend.
    -Lance
    Bullet 21XD Mercury 250 Pro XS

Might want to buy the pair and replace both and keep the other for a spare, I think I remember someone saying the speeds will be different from one to another

3. Member
    I saw that as well on here, but i recently replaced an old lenco actuator and the new one works at the same speed as the old one, so you might not need them both (at least for now).

Lance is actually looking for the entire TAB...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

OHHH

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    Lance is actually looking for the entire TAB...
    Yep tab and actuator completely gone. And once i get everything fixed I'll be looking for a bigger boat!!! Intimidator just is not made for the big water.
    -Lance

7. Member
    You should be able to have one made at any good sheet metal shop. There's not a hole lot to them and they could match the one you still have. The actuator you would have to get from Lenco.

8. Member
    Are the actuators difficult to replace?

depends on if you call 6 small bolts & nuts, plus running a "snake" string to pull new actuator wire back through hole, DIFFICULT or NOT?
    takes 20 mins max...
    depending on how your boat sits on trailer, you may need to jack boat up off trailer 1-2" for clearance...

10. Member
    I'll let you know soon if the parts come in this week.
    -Lance

11. Member
    10 4 ! Ive never had an issue with mine but have always wondered how hard it would be to replace them. Did you end up ordering them from AMS?

12. Member
    I tore one of mine off last year and luckily didn't loose the tab. I hung on by one screw. I straightened it out and changed both actuators together.. I was a piece of cake job.. I bought my actuators directly from Lenco..
    http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php...nd-accessories

Quote Originally Posted by NCDURAMAX05 View Post
    I'll let you know soon if the parts come in this week.
    Take the boat to the nearest ramp and let it float back about 6 inches with the tongue strap still attached will make it easier to change it out.
    Burning the candle at both ends.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 302w View Post
    Take the boat to the nearest ramp and let it float back about 6 inches with the tongue strap still attached will make it easier to change it out.
    That's a good idea for repairing a bent tab. I've been lifting my boat with chain come-a-long! My favorite lake has tons of stumps and my tabs are taking a beating! I will have to try that myself.

15. Member
    I changed one a month ago and it was pretty easy. The hardest part is reaching at weird angles to attach the nuts to the 3 bolts. I got mine for 187.00 and free shipping. Actuator only.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDURAMAX05 View Post
    Just wanted to check and see if anyone by chance would have an extra Trim tab laying around. I saw on the Gambler web site they sale them in pairs only. I tore on my right trim tab and actuator this weekend.
    Tabs have changed a little over the years.

I have 2 tab and canisters, NO ACTUATORS from a scrapped Gambler.

JAZII

HI all

Long time lurker and appreciator of all the information on this site from north of the border. I have to bring an old chat back to the forefront. I am about to replace my one actuator and am hoping it isn't too hard, for those that have done this do you trace the wire all the way back to whatever it connects to? or do you just cut the wire and splice it in where it is easy?

Any other tips for swapping these out additional to whats here? Current actuator sounds like a garburator with a bone stuck in it and sticks over 50% of the time.

Thanks in advance!

Cam

you need to unsplice where its already spliced inside the boat...when you pull actuator out, tie a string to it, so you dont have to fish the wires through manually...
    the rest is common bolt/unbolt...
    i would suggest ordering 2 and doing both at same time...the newer style ones are faster and you wont like running uneven...

Thanks for the information! I will do that with the string, I have read that there is a lot of silicone up in there do I need to try and clean that out and add fresh stuff? Is it easy to find where the wire splices in?