Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Fish Batter Recipes

Ok guys, I go the easy route and drag the crappie fillet through an egg and Zatarain's. I'll add a little Tony Chachery's Creole for some kick. I'm ready to try something different. Please share your favorite fish batter recipe's.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

I've really been liking the TomKat's original or chipotle. It's spicy though, even the original has some wang. I mix half and half with flour on the original for crappie. I like the chipotle half and half on channel cat.

3. Member
    I only blacken crappie or bream anymore. Fried food thing from a coupla coronaries. Very lightly brush w/olive oil, spray skillet with Pam, sprinkle seasoning on each side of fillet. Seasoning is ho-made sort of. Looked up blackening seasonings on net, tweaked it to our liking. Mostly took a lot of the salt out, increased a couple of others. Red hot skillet, respray between each load. We like 'em. Gonna have a load this wk-end.

I quit the fried stuff also. I do run them through flour with cracked black pepper, then into the egg/milk, and then roll them in bread crumbs with Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Into the oven on a rack at 375°.

Good stuff guys. Curious about the blackened method. What's your setup? Outdoors I assume? Cast iron skillet over a propane burner? How long does it take to cook?

6. Member
    When I blacken fish, I now do it on a propane burner outside. I had always done it on the kitchen stove-gas- before. Did a coupla time in the pellet grill, but the new set-up is how I much prefer. Light oil on ea side, season one side (altho you could prob do both at once), spray skillet with Pam once it is hot, season side down and sprinkle other side then, cooking time is up to the individual I guess. We like it more done than some do so I go about 3 min on each side for a rule of thumb. Adjust that for the size of fillet, air temp, wind. Whatever it takes to get 'em like you want. Gets pretty busy when you have a load. Re-spray between loads. Seasoning is just something we put together from looking up on net. No secrets, and if you want I will share what we do. Make your own adjustments as to salt, how spicy, etc. Only way we fix fish these days. Seems to be well received by all who share in it.

7. Banned
    For those that don't like to fry, grilled and broiled work well with a light coating of EVOO. There's no bad way to make a mess of crappie in my kitchen. Well, it's my wife's kitchen but she let's me in there once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    When I blacken fish, I now do it on a propane burner outside. I had always done it on the kitchen stove-gas- before. Did a coupla time in the pellet grill, but the new set-up is how I much prefer. Light oil on ea side, season one side (altho you could prob do both at once), spray skillet with Pam once it is hot, season side down and sprinkle other side then, cooking time is up to the individual I guess. We like it more done than some do so I go about 3 min on each side for a rule of thumb. Adjust that for the size of fillet, air temp, wind. Whatever it takes to get 'em like you want. Gets pretty busy when you have a load. Re-spray between loads. Seasoning is just something we put together from looking up on net. No secrets, and if you want I will share what we do. Make your own adjustments as to salt, how spicy, etc. Only way we fix fish these days. Seems to be well received by all who share in it.
    Very interested in this so please share any tips and thanks! Do you also leave the skin on one side?
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    Very interested in this so please share any tips and thanks! Do you also leave the skin on one side?
    I do not leave the skin on. Most of everything I catch is given to some elderly (that is starting to be self inclusive) widow women or guys that Have been meaningful to me in the course of time. So I clean them all the same, no skin, no ribs, no bones whatsoever. Just cook them to the degree of 'doneness' that you prefer. I target about three min per side with this burner set-up. Inside it took a bit more time. I really like the outdoor burner I bought, gets really hot and keeps it there. I do try to season my portion more than my wife's. I like a bit more kick

10. Member
    Zaterians for fresh crappie and McCormick cracker meal/ egg for what's been frozen. Season up cracker meal with salt/pepper or tony's to taste, dredge fillets in egg and coat with seasoned cracker meal. Don't ask me why... that's the way my father-in-law does it and I've never been disappointed. So I follow his lead.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Mainly for striped bass but I keep it simple. wash fish but don't dry. Mix some Old bay in with flour. coat fish in flour and deep fry, not pan fry.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Haven't tried this one yet but it sounds good on a chilly day.

POTATO AND CRAPPIE CHOWDER

4 cups shredded potatoes
    4 cups raw crappie fillets, chunked
    1/2 cup celery, diced
    1/2 cup onion, diced
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1 to 2 cans evaporated milk
    1/4 cup melted butter
    Cook crappie and potatoes in a pan just covered with just enough water so it will come to a boil.

Saute the celery and onion until tender; drain.
    Combine all into one large dutch oven or pot. Now add cream of mushroom soup, evaporated milk, and butter. Simmer together until hot. Do not boil or milk will curdle. Simple and hearty soup that tastes great with salad and fresh bread. You can top this soup with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.

Egg wash, then Italian bread crumbs. As soon as you pull em out of the fryer, throw a bit of Lawreys season salt. My familys personal favorite

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I only blacken crappie or bream anymore. Fried food thing from a coupla coronaries. Very lightly brush w/olive oil, spray skillet with Pam, sprinkle seasoning on each side of fillet. Seasoning is ho-made sort of. Looked up blackening seasonings on net, tweaked it to our liking. Mostly took a lot of the salt out, increased a couple of others. Red hot skillet, respray between each load. We like 'em. Gonna have a load this wk-end.
    Sounds very tasty!

15. Member
    House Autry Seafood Breader Mix is what I use. Made locally not far from here.

16. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    1/2 bread crumbs and 1/2 cracker meal. salt and pepper to taste, sometimes a little Lawry's.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

17. Member
    For those who no longer fry here is a recipe that I "borrowed" from another site a year or so back. I have not fished much since I found this recipe so I can not say first hand how good it is. However...it sure does sound good.

Baked Parmesan Crappie

Ingredients

1 or 2 eggs
    ¾ cup Panko Italian or any bread crumbs
    ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
    ¼ teaspoon ground dried thyme
    Fish filets
    ¼ cup melted butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees

2. In a small bowl prepare an egg wash. In a separate bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and thyme. Dip the filets in the egg wash and then press into the crumb mixture to coat. Place filets in a glass baking dish, and drizzle with melted butter.

3. Bake on the top rack of the preheated oven until the fish flakes easily, about 15 minutes.

18. Member
    We add a little yellow corn bread mix to our seasoned corn meal, the fish come out darker but it is very good.

Enough mustard to lightly cover fillets as you slosh the fillets in a bowl. Then Louisiana fish fry. That's it

My brother-in-law turned me on to his very simple fish fry method, and I have to admit it is tough to beat for a simple, mild coating that doesn't hide the fish.
    Wet fillets in water, and shake in Western Star seasoned flour. Deep fry. Eat

He's a farmer and lives in the middle of nowhere, but I swear neighbors 5 and 10 miles away can smell when he turns on the fish fryer. I've never seen him pick up the phone or text, but people just start showing up when the fryer gets turned on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast