Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    My brother-in-law turned me on to his very simple fish fry method, and I have to admit it is tough to beat for a simple, mild coating that doesn't hide the fish.
    Wet fillets in water, and shake in Western Star seasoned flour. Deep fry. Eat

He's a farmer and lives in the middle of nowhere, but I swear neighbors 5 and 10 miles away can smell when he turns on the fish fryer. I've never seen him pick up the phone or text, but people just start showing up when the fryer gets turned on.
    I also use this flour as it is produced in my hometown of Salina, it is so good on any meat or chicken too.

2. Member
    Add a few table spoons of cornstarch to any batter and it will really help with the crispyness
    ~~~~GROUND MEAT PRODUCTIONS~~~~
    OUTDOOR VIDEOS
    2016 XPRESS X21 ~ Yamaha F200LB ~ LOWRANCE ~ DAIWA ~

3. Member
    I have used a product called Harold Ensley fish batter mix, hard to find but has some great tasting seasoning and super finished fried taste.

4. Member
    Uncle bucks basspro.

5. Member
    My dad soaks the fish fillets in "squirt" or "7 Up" the night prior. Taste amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    My dad soaks the fish fillets in "squirt" or "7 Up" the night prior. Taste amazing!
    I need to try that.

This is our longtime family way of frying fish, either pan fry or deep fry.

1. Lay out filets on cutting board and blot dry with paper towels
    2. Apply only seasoning. (I use only salt and black pepper)
    3. Let filets rest on cutting board for 30 minutes with the seasoning applied.
    4. Place filets into big ziplock bag with a generous amount of cornmeal and shake.
    5. Let filets rest in the cornmeal for 45 minutes, with one bag shake at 20 minutes.
    6. Shake off excess cornmeal from filets and fry fish.

What this does is allow the salt in the seasoning to form an exudate during the
    first 30 minute rest. Then during the second rest in the cornmeal this exudate forms
    a thin cornmeal paste on the surface of the filet.

This produces a thin crispy surface on the filet after frying. My favorite frying
    method for fish is pan fry. 360F with just enough oil to ride up to the half way
    mark on the fish pieces. Timing for fry on each side depends on thickness of
    filet and fish type. My favorite oil to use is refined Avocado Oil. This is a very high smoke
    point oil that gives a very clean taste to the fish. In other words, it adds no
    taste of it's own to the fish. When I take out each filet I drop it on multiple
    layers of paper towel and give it a quick blot on top with a handful of paper toweling.
    Last edited by doctorxring; 08-02-2017 at 02:39 PM.

1c Bread crumbs
    1c Flour
    1/3c+/- Lawrys Season Salt
    1TBSP Garlic powder
    Cayenne Pepper to taste.

Double it or more if you need more. Take about 1/3 of the batter in a separate bowl and create a slurry by adding milk. Dredge the fillets in the slurry then into the dry batter. Drop it in the fryer until done.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12