Gas line popping free on HD 2003 Softail Heritage while riding??

Well guys, I pulled the trigger on a new-to-me bike today, a gorgeous 2003 100th Anniversary Harley Softail Heritage Classic in showroom condition for a price I just couldn't pass up. Everything seems amazing except for one small thing that concerns me and wondering what it could be. The previous owner mentioned to me that 2 months ago while rolling on the highway, the gas line popped off the connector under the seat that goes towards the injectors (vs the end connected to the tank) and started spraying gas all over the place. He had to pull over and shove the line back in. This is my first Harley and I took a quick peek at time of purchase and pulled on the line and it certainly doesn't seem to be going anywhere. But it also seems to be a quick connect of some kind with some sort of plastic connector. On my V-Star, it's a rubber hose that connects to a valve and is secured with a one of those pressure clips.

Can someone give me a bit more information on what kind of connector this is and why it just flew off out of the blue? Wondering what I should do, I definitely don't want that happening to me on the road!!

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Member
    I would ask on a Harley forum you will get more suggestions. There is a small minority of folks that ride on this forum and I get great insight on HD forums I ride a StreetGlide and it's amazing the information you can pick much like on this web site!
    Good Luck

3. Member
    You can buy a replacement connector from an auto parts store if it's a problem.
    Allen

2011 Ranger Z520
    2020 Mercury 4-Stroke Pro XS 250

Rebel Bass Club

http://rebelbass.webstarts.com/

Gone Fishing