generator search is on gents...

My wife and I recently purchased a Jayco Jay Feather, 19'. We would like some input/advice/suggestions on a generator to have with us. Will probably use mainly at campgrounds w/ hook-ups, but if we want to dry camp a generator would be required. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Member
    Best bet is to get an inverter "suitcase" generator like the Honda EU series. They have the ability to daisy chain to give you twice the powe yet they are really quiet. There are also cheaper alternative brands but Honda is the household name.

they cost, but the best is onan gensets that are RV Specific. they're long lasting with regular up keep. example is had a 1993 Holiday Rambler 33' MH with one still doing it's job, the guy that bought it just like we did, oil, and new filters and plugs when required. then ever so often a decarb on heads.. tough little 4 cycle.. Ran the whole coach.. even new Travel Trailers can have them when spec'ed. tho' very few seen, most motor coaches are equipped. can find used ones on RV section on most craigs list sights, and some RV Dealers and Onan Service / Repair shops have new or used for sale. Junk Yards with wrecked RV's etc. then there are the same RV spec Diesel Motor Gen sets

4. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    I run a Honda EU3000i. VERY powerful - runs everything in my RV no problem. Decent fuel consumption and the best part is how QUIET it runs....I NASCAR camp quite a bit and I can run the Honda all night long due to how quiet it is...
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

5. Member
    Problem with the under 3000 size generators is the A/C start up draw is to much. The problem with the 3000 size and up is that they are heavy.You can get a smaller generator to run the A/C but you have to change the capacitor in the A/C to a hard start capacitor.

6. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    My Honda 3000 is very lightweight and compact. It handles my A/C start-up even on ECO mode. The Hard Start Cap is a great idea. The only problem I have found with the 3000 (and my buddy has the same problem with his 6500 - running the A/C and then running the microwave at the same time does not work. I do have to shut off the A/C to run the Microwave.
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

7. Member
    The Hondas are great. I love mine too!

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The standard for many who dry camp is a pair of EU2000s with the connection kit. Each is fairly light and one will do much of what you need. The pair will run your AC.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Banned
    The hottest inverter generator on the retail market is the Champion 3100. They come in a couple of configurations. Even with the remote control and electric start, it's less than half the cost of the EU3000 Honda or the comparable Yamaha.

Check them out online (and at Amazon.com.) I notice that some of the biggest online generator sellers of Honda & Yamaha are also carrying them. Although they're Chinese built, their level of parts and service is supposedly top notch.

10. Member
    Bama.. That's the one we are lookin at... $1000... At electric generator direct.c om... So far only only we've considered based on reviews/cost... We still lookin though... Thanks for the help gents

11. Member
    i have the champion 3100 120 volt. its AWESOME and very quiet. tons of power
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The standard for many who dry camp is a pair of EU2000s with the connection kit. Each is fairly light and one will do much of what you need. The pair will run your AC.
    This is what we did.

I have the Yamaha 2800I AND A 15000 BTU a/C AND it seems to work fine, like they said cant run microwave or hair dryer.

14. Member
    we went w/ the champion 46539... 4k start-up and 3500 running watts... remote start/stop feature for those cold(er), barley pop filled nites... roughly 140 lbs... putting to the test next week... thank you all for the input/suggestions!!!

Actually when 1st getting a New Camper is have a gen set factory installed,, that runs the whole house.. Hind site Huh?Miss the 1st MH had, wife wanted to get a Travel Trailer years later.. and it don't have a gen set. as Got a in Stock one. Mostly used at Lake Site RV Camps any way..
    Attached Images Attached Images