Shimano Curado 200ihg Thumb-bar/Spool won't engage

Hi Everyone,

I bought a Shimano Curado 200ihg way back in the beginning of the season and had only used it a few times this year. I went to pull it out again the other day and made a cast and it wouldn't reel. The thumb-bar/spool wouldn't engage when I would reel. Is that typically a quick fix or something that needs to be sent in already?

Thanks for the help, Jason

Take out your spool and check if the pinion gear is stuck in the frame (happens with Lews not sure about Shimano) if not it is most likely the thumb bar engage lever that broke. Has happened to me in the past. Either way I'm sure Dan or PRB will step in with the best response. Good luck!
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

3. Member
    Thanks and it only happens sometimes if that helps diagnose it. I of course took off all the line and now can't recreate it, but something clearly isn't working right. Happened multiple times on the water.

If it happens again try pushing down on thumbar while it's down and turn the handle. I'd have to see it but it sounds like the thumbar might be a bit tweaked and is preventing the clutch from fully engaging with the ratchet. Call me and I can walk you thru something. Dan 650 454 4938
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

5. Member
    I have been having the same issue for years and I finally figured out the problem and how to fix it. Over the years, I would accidentally fix the issue by doing many things, such as cleaning, replacing parts, but the issue would come back after a few days. It's very frustrating to think you have the issue fixed and then it doesn't re-engage. I finally have the Curado I working consistently. The reason that the reel won't engage when you turn the handle, the Clutch Pawl is not swiping over to touch the Anti Reverse Ratchet. You can witness this yourself if you take the reel apart and press the button.

But how do you fix this?
    The way to fix this is to make sure that the pinion gear is either very clean or oiled. A brand new pinion gear will fit perfectly into the middle of the bearing, but when you fish in salt water or don't clean the pinion gear, enough corrosion forms to not fit effortlessly. The 2nd comment above by @p2geo is correct. Just clean the pinion gear, replace it or if it is already dirty, add a drop of oil between the pinion gear and the bearing. Shimano actually suggests doing this after fishing trips in the documentation that comes with the reel. Now I understand why.

And this applies to all bait casters.

6. Member
    Good stuff fellas...thanks for sharing the info and insight.

Actually, when these reels do this they are the original issues before any "running changes" were done. The issue is the clutch plate and they were changed mid issue.
    Clutch plate needs changed to new version to correct permanently. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"