Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Fluorocarbon Fishing Line!

I have given fluorocarbon line several chances with no satisfaction in outcome. I've used almost every name brand and some new named brands with the same results, No Shelf life after 2-3 weeks. At prices from $10-$25 for a 100 yd. spool that is expensive to me. Anyone else have this same review of fluorocarbon line?

2. Banned
    I have been using the p line flourocarbon for the last few years on my cranking rods. No problems at all with it so far.

Seaguar red label on my baitcaster reels and no issues. Also use 6lb invizx for Dropshotting on spinning reel and it works well. As with any line ot needs to be changed out every so often.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

If you are using it on casting reels, sunline green sniper is the best there is..Casts great, and with a shot of reelsnot before each trip, holds up for a long time...
    I tried almost all of them also, and wasnt happy until i started using the Sunline...
    LD

5. Member
    Flourocarbon does require some attention. Make sure it don't get kinked during a backlash. Monitor it after catching fish and don't swing your fish. Flourocarbon stretches very little and don't take its shape back after swinging fish repeatedly. The line actually becomes thinner when swinging fish or even on monster hook sets and getting hung up.

6. Member
    Tried a bunch of it. Didn't like any of it. Switched to izorline xxx copolymer and very happy with it. And it's cheap too.

It definitely isn't cheap by a long shot but I have had great luck with Gamma.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

8. Member
    i don't get how we can spend $200 on a rod, $200 on a reel then complain about $10-$25 on line... with fluorocarbon you get what you pay for.. I use sunline shooter its expensive but worth it.

I use Berkley Trilene 100% Fluoro Professional Grade and have had great results. A friend of mine recommended Seaguar AbrazX and it was horrible. I should have known better watching him break off three times in one day.

10. Banned
    I've used Seaguar Red Label, Invisiz and Abrazix the last 3-4 years with no issues. It's all I'll use.

11. Member
    If you all would switch to a good braid line and use about 6 ft fluorocarbon leader most of your troubles will be over. No memory line curls on your spinning reels, no stretch, casts great will last all season and you can reduce the showboat hook set. I use 30 lb braid with a 15 lb leader on my casting reels and 10 lb braid with either 8 or 6 lb leader on my spinning reels. You can always go up or down with leader size depending on water and fishing conditions. Use an albright knot or several other good leader to braid knots out there. You'll find that the braid line diameter will be at least half the size of fluorocarbon or mono lines. I use fluorocarbon as a leader because it disappears in the water and I fish a lot of clear waters..Oh be sure to reduce your drag tension you will want it to slip slightly on hook set due to no line stretch in the braid and a little in the fluorocarbon..

12. Member
    Izorline is top notch stuff. I scored a couple of spools and gave it a shot. I am in love! I fished for years with Berkley Trilene Big Game. As for as strength and durability, Izorline is every bit a tough as Big Game except with out as much stretch or memory.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotEarl View Post
    Izorline is top notch stuff. I scored a couple of spools and gave it a shot. I am in love! I fished for years with Berkley Trilene Big Game. As for as strength and durability, Izorline is every bit a tough as Big Game except with out as much stretch or memory.
    this ^^^^^^

Gamma and use KVD line conditioner. Works for me. Gamma copoly is very good also, incredible strength and easier to handle than pure floro.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

15. Mike Lamb
    I have had good luck with Basspro line. only use 14lb and 20lb fluorocarbon. It holds up great and get many months out of it.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

16. Member
    If your having break off problems
    with fluorocarbon then it's knot
    problems. If you burn the knot
    it will break.

17. Member
    I have used quite a few brands of flouro and liked them all. I love it. Berkley is my favorite so far, red label was my least favorite. Tying the right knot is the key. Filling a spinning reel with it is a no no, it will coil right off and make a mess. I didn't change out any flouro all summer and I fish 2-3 times a week. I use KVD line conditioner once and a while and things are good to go. Very seldom have a break off.

18. Member
    Try Silver Thread. I've been using it for years. Was difficult to get used to (Florocarbon) because the no stretch factor. Seems hook sets seem stronger.. or fish seem bigger when you set the hook. But just like everyone else says. Careful with backlash, and rough spots. Line sinks so it has its advantages to run cranks deeper. Don't use it with topwater. I get this line at 1/2 price due to my Wife working for EBSCO that owns all these fishing companies.

http://www.lurenet.com/brands/silver-thread

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

19. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by XSDRD View Post
    I have given fluorocarbon line several chances with no satisfaction in outcome. I've used almost every name brand and some new named brands with the same results, No Shelf life after 2-3 weeks. At prices from $10-$25 for a 100 yd. spool that is expensive to me. Anyone else have this same review of fluorocarbon line?
    I think there is something wrong...a fatal flaw with your process...First guess would always be your knot...but there is definitely something wrong. The shelf life thing is 1000% wrong. If you don't want to use it, I would understand if you're having horrible problems...I just feel like something is amiss...
    Steve

20. Banned
    Seaguar Red Label, Invizix and Abrazix, no issues at all. The key to keeping it fresh is keep them in a cooler area and out of the sunlight. I have spools that are over a year old with no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast