Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shadow 180v set up help?

Just bought an 18ft Shadow today. It has an older envinrude xp 150, 6 in jack plate, and 4 blade prop. I want to get an early 90's merc or mariner 200, but until then, what would be the best set up with current accessories? Oh, and haven't had a chance to get it on the water yet, but owner said top end was 53-55. Sounds slow for this boat?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Member
    Very slow for that boat. I had one with a mildly modded 150 on it and turning a 26p prop that was at least mid to high 70's. But, it had low water p/u's and motor was fairly high. I was turning 6300.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

3. Member
    Thanks. Headed to the water this afternoon. Gonna see what's going on and will report back. Thanks

4. Member
    5800 rpm 58-59 gps. Seems like I'm not getting any bow lift. Has one of those whale tail things on it too.

5. Member
    If you aren't getting any lift the motor is too high , the prop doesn't have enough cup or blade area or you are trimming to high to early

the 180v is a tunnel like the 200v correct?

If it is and you don't have a coned lower you aren't too high with the motor

try trimming less and let the boat try to start packing air before trimming further. Don't go above neutral and hold it wot till you feel the hull pack some air then go up in short bumps and give the hull time to react

6. Member
    Not a tunnel. Just a v bottom. Thanks for the info.

7. Member
    Don't know what pitch you have? A three blade will run faster on most boats. I would think a 25 or 26 chopper would help if the motor is healthy.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

8. Banned
    I would think a 23 or 24 raker

Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    If you aren't getting any lift the motor is too high , the prop doesn't have enough cup or blade area or you are trimming to high to early

the 180v is a tunnel like the 200v correct?

If it is and you don't have a coned lower you aren't too high with the motor

try trimming less and let the boat try to start packing air before trimming further. Don't go above neutral and hold it wot till you feel the hull pack some air then go up in short bumps and give the hull time to react
    They are a v pad and run faster than the tunnel, hi 80's into 90's with a 2.4 200/225, a vt 200 needs a bridgeport or 260 to do that,that is the hull that jay set the worlds fastest bassboat record in , late 80's
    Last edited by cajunrgfm; 10-04-2016 at 04:23 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    They are a v pad and run faster than the tunnel, hi 80's into 90's with a 2.4 200/225, a vt 200 needs a bridgeport or 260 to do that,that is the hull that jay set the worlds fastest bassboat record in , late 80's
    What was the speed I can't imagine a 18' v shadow being faster than a light tunnel of the same size? Dads venture tunnel fished I the high 80's and went 90 something unloaded with a 32 cleaver built by bowmans

the shadow tunnel is 20'8" most were tater chips when Jay built them,the evinrude 235 was the big motor of the era,and that's what the mod tunnel was rated for,,,,merc had the modvp,finger port 2.4's,,,,,,,,,,in 89ish when they went to kentucky,the lynch bros. added a ton of weight in their version , the 180 they ran to beat allison was highly modified, it was a specially rigged hull and 200hp suzuki,warmed over,think it was '86,,,,,dont recall actual speed, just like the shadow 210v,it was heavy compared to the 180v,so,never got any big numbers,due to the small motors.

What was the speed I can't imagine a 18' v shadow being faster than a light tunnel of the same size? Dads venture tunnel fished I the high 80's and went 90 something unloaded with a 32 cleaver built by bowmans
    an 18' boat vs a 21' boat with modified 200hp motors would definitely go to the 18'er,look at all the 95 mph hydrostream v pads with 200's on them.my v king would smoke my ae-21 tunnel with just 200's on them,the ae-21 needs 260 minimum to fly right.just like a shadow tunnel needs 240 to fly right.

13. Member
    Is the shadow tunnel really that long? I thought robs was right at 20' maybe 20'1" it definitely don't look 20'8"'to me but you would know better.

I knew they were light though that's why I figured the tunnel would be faster motor to motor if they were roughly the same weight.

Very interesting anyways.

Now that race season is over and cool weather is right around the corner hopefully I can put up some good numbers in robs boat. We finally got the lower coned , got some tight heads on it and set timing right.

hi boat is a later version ,alot heavier than the tater chips of the mid 80's

15. Member
    Ok Cajun now I get it we are compairing apples to watermelons. You are talking a it the 21' v hull shadow that is very similar to the stroker.

We we were taking about 18'5" tunnels and v's.

Is the shadow tunnel really that long? I thought robs was right at 20' maybe 20'1" it definitely don't look 20'8"'to me but you would know better.

I knew they were light though that's why I figured the tunnel would be faster motor to motor if they were roughly the same weight.

Very interesting anyways.

Now that race season is over and cool weather is right around the corner hopefully I can put up some good numbers in robs boat. We finally got the lower coned , got some tight heads on it and set timing right.
    Your buddy's isn't a cox built tater chip, by '89 they were being built in Ky.some of jay's early boats you could look up from inside a storage compartment and see daylight thru the gel coat.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    the shadow tunnel is 20'8" most were tater chips when Jay built them,the evinrude 235 was the big motor of the era,and that's what the mod tunnel was rated for,,,,merc had the modvp,finger port 2.4's,,,,,,,,,,in 89ish when they went to kentucky,the lynch bros. added a ton of weight in their version , the 180 they ran to beat allison was highly modified, it was a specially rigged hull and 200hp suzuki,warmed over,think it was '86,,,,,dont recall actual speed, just like the shadow 210v,it was heavy compared to the 180v,so,never got any big numbers,due to the small motors.
    I JUST sold a 1988 20vt shadow set-up right 220 xri efi bobs l\u 26'' chopper all i could get out of it was 75@ 6000 80-90 seems like a tall order!
    guess it was a heavy one tunnel model

Quote Originally Posted by ARTS SHADOW View Post
    I JUST sold a 1988 20vt shadow set-up right 220 xri efi bobs l\u 26'' chopper all i could get out of it was 75@ 6000 80-90 seems like a tall order!
    guess it was a heavy one tunnel model
    Not really ,a 220xri is only a 200 fishin motor, a bridgeport or a promax can fly that hull into the 90's with a sporty or coned cle, jacked 1.5" above the pad,and yes, there is a huge difference between early 700 lb. Hulls and 975 lbs, but 975 isn't too awful.
    Last edited by cajunrgfm; 11-17-2016 at 08:56 AM.

19. Member
    Sorry haven't been on in a while. About to drop the rude 150 off for an early 90's model Merc 200. Any suggestions on props to try once I have the merc on?

20. Member
    As far as speeds, most of them in the day were speedo, which are normally way off. GPS didn't come out until around 1996. Most Shadows then, with a 200, ran low to mid 70's light and set up right. And they didn't carry weight well.
    ARTS SHADDOW seems to have it about right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast