Winterizing the RV?

My TT is on a full hookup (water, sewer, power, etc) site in North Alabama. What winterization do I need to do during very cold snaps when I'm not using it for days/weeks? I always turn the water supply off and empty the tanks when not there. Thanks for the advice.

portable air tank,and a water line blow out plug( any camper supply) think even Walmart has in camp/RV section in automotive. I open up all inside faucets H & C. and just about 10 PSI not a whole lot of pressure from air tank, to blow lines clear. Drain the Hot water Heater, always have the Black and Grey water tanks clean and empty. the pour the RV Pink Anti Freeze down in each sink and shower/Tub drain, and I leave some in the commode bowel, as not to let the slide flap get dried out. also speaking of toilet be sure to flush the water line to it while doing the sinks etc mentioned before^^. some forget that water line and have a freeze and or Bust of its line and even the flush valve. I never use the fresh water tank in any RV or TT ever had. as just use fresh water inlet from spigot. if use drain that water tank. and always take water hose off and empty. I do that to ours every winter, since it sits in driveway, I leave power to it with a portable electric heater in middle of living room, when i'm tinkering outside, sorta fun to jump in warm up and sip some Java. But when I'm totally done I don't leave the electric turned on to camper. safety reasons lolo. One thing is always keep the propane tanks full. propane don't deteriorate. Comes in handy if storm ( Blizzard) or ice knocks out power since house is total electric, at least stay cozy in Travel Trailer. I keep the Boat batterys off boat in shed in winter and keep them charged, may need to use on camper for the 12v Heater Fan.. Older model campers didn't have the fan to rely on having heat. was a good feature . but now with floor heat ducts , A/C roof ducts. about all have the 12v Blowers. I have a HD Portable Gen set, but it don't have 30 plug fro camper use. But a v twin 16HP it loves the Gas, so will just be the 110v hook up if ever comes the time absolutely have to. But town and gas stations shut down when extreme Blizzards or ICE and no power to anyone. defeats prolonged Gen Set Runs, well have fun! about covered it all

3. Member
    Bass AHolic.....yes, you covered it very well! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    portable air tank,and a water line blow out plug( any camper supply) think even Walmart has in camp/RV section in automotive. I open up all inside faucets H & C. and just about 10 PSI not a whole lot of pressure from air tank, to blow lines clear. Drain the Hot water Heater, always have the Black and Grey water tanks clean and empty. the pour the RV Pink Anti Freeze down in each sink and shower/Tub drain, and I leave some in the commode bowel, as not to let the slide flap get dried out. also speaking of toilet be sure to flush the water line to it while doing the sinks etc mentioned before^^. some forget that water line and have a freeze and or Bust of its line and even the flush valve. I never use the fresh water tank in any RV or TT ever had. as just use fresh water inlet from spigot. if use drain that water tank. and always take water hose off and empty. I do that to ours every winter, since it sits in driveway, I leave power to it with a portable electric heater in middle of living room, when i'm tinkering outside, sorta fun to jump in warm up and sip some Java. But when I'm totally done I don't leave the electric turned on to camper. safety reasons lolo. One thing is always keep the propane tanks full. propane don't deteriorate. Comes in handy if storm ( Blizzard) or ice knocks out power since house is total electric, at least stay cozy in Travel Trailer. I keep the Boat batterys off boat in shed in winter and keep them charged, may need to use on camper for the 12v Heater Fan.. Older model campers didn't have the fan to rely on having heat. was a good feature . but now with floor heat ducts , A/C roof ducts. about all have the 12v Blowers. I have a HD Portable Gen set, but it don't have 30 plug fro camper use. But a v twin 16HP it loves the Gas, so will just be the 110v hook up if ever comes the time absolutely have to. But town and gas stations shut down when extreme Blizzards or ICE and no power to anyone. defeats prolonged Gen Set Runs, well have fun! about covered it all
    Also make sure all faucets are open and shower hoses and outside hoses are drained. If yours has an whole house water filter you will need to drain it also.

5. Banned
    I've had travel trailers and fifth wheel trailers since 1995, and my new fifth wheel trailer stays in the North GA Mountains at Helen. There are a number of ways to winterize your trailer--by blowing out the water lines or by using antifreeze.

You want to make sure you have a hot water bypass kit on the trailer. I do the following:
    Cut off any city water to your trailer.
    Cut off the circuit breaker and switch to the electric element on your hot water heater.
    Switch over the two valves on the hot water tank to bypass.
    Pull the plug on the hot water tank and then open the pressure/temperature valve on the top of the tank to fully drain it.
    Drain any water in the fresh water tank. Then add 2 gallons of RV antifreeze.
    If you have valves at the lowest point in your water system (under the trailer), open the valves and all faucets. When water's drained, close the low point valves up.
    Cut on the 12 volt water pump and open each faucet one by one--hot and cold. When each runs pink, cut off the faucet. Don't forget to pump antifreeze in the toilet too.

We often camp in winter after winterizing the trailer using just cold city water. If we need hot water for washing dishes, I'll just microwave some. (Showers are taken in a heated bath house.) I can re-winterize the trailer with the RV antifreeze remaining in the fresh water tank in maybe 5 minutes.

6. Member
    I also never use the freshwater tank. If I blow the water out of all the lines, do I have to fill them with antifreeze? It seems the antifreeze leaves a foul taste for a while.

7. Banned
    I'm new to the camper world and inherited my new girlfriends travel relaxer this year. What the best thing to do for the rubber roof prior to buttoning it up? Anything need to do to the slideout? Grease, etc? Thoughts on bringing the battery in the garage for the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I'm new to the camper world and inherited my new girlfriends travel relaxer this year. What the best thing to do for the rubber roof prior to buttoning it up? Anything need to do to the slideout? Grease, etc? Thoughts on bringing the battery in the garage for the winter?
    I do bring my battery into the shop so I can charge it periodically. As far as the roof, I would make sure it's clean and inspect it for any issues. Winterize it by getting a cheap blow out plug and a small air compressor to blow the lines out or bypass the water heater and use the suction method to put antifreeze in the lines. A couple of gallons will do it and it's cheap to buy.