Thread: Fuel

Fuel

What kind of fuel y'all using currently I'm using non ethy 90 but I noticed in the manual it recommend mid grade with a injector cleaner kind of leaves ethy out period
    2023 ranger 198p

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the forum, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

This would be critical to answering the question of what fuel to run.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13 -60 hp 4 stroke merc
    2023 ranger 198p

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    87 Octane, no more than 10% ethanol content.

Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are SUBSTANTIALLY higher octane can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Wow that's good to know. I have a 2015 75hp mercury 4 stroke model 1F754131D and serial 2B183100. When I bought the boat from BPS in Florida the guy told me to always try to use non ethanol but if I do use it make sure I get the high octane. I have been use 90 octane non ethanol because there is a gas station 5 min from me that sell it. Guess I will start using the 87 octane with 10% ethanol from now on.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billycal View Post
    Wow that's good to know. I have a 2015 75hp mercury 4 stroke model 1F754131D and serial 2B183100. When I bought the boat from BPS in Florida the guy told me to always try to use non ethanol but if I do use it make sure I get the high octane. I have been use 90 octane non ethanol because there is a gas station 5 min from me that sell it. Guess I will start using the 87 octane with 10% ethanol from now on.
    Just make sure you also always treat every drop of fuel with Quickleen and Quickare or Quickstor (as appropriate) at the ratio of 1oz to 5gals fuel. See this in the FAQ at the top of the forum - Fuel and Fuel Additives for 4-stroke Models

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    For winter storage, is it better to get non-ethanol gas for say 4 months of storage?

how do Quickleen and Quickare help?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    To some extent- it would depend on the boat and type of fuel system in it.

See: http://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/p...cts/fuel-care/

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    To some extent- it would depend on the boat and type of fuel system in it.

See: www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/mercury-marine-products/fuel-care/
    Thanks a bunch,
    I have a 20 gallon tank and a 90 HP efi 4s.
    There are couple of places in town where I can buy ethanol free gas, (50 cents a gallon premium).

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Later design boats (most 2012 and later) will have pressurized (with some form of carbon-cannister) fuel systems to meet EPA requirements.

These types of systems are less susceptible to moisture problems when utilizing fuels containing ethanol.

Really a catch-29, to be honest. The best method is to start off your next season with FRESH fuel (however you can accomplish that). The fuel will degrade over time, whether or not it contains ethanol.

At 4 months, you would probably be fine either way. I would recommend utilizing Quickstor (in place of Quickare) for storage purposes (and give 20-30 minutes run time on the water to get that fuel/treatment up through the fuel system).

Well thx guys I've never heard of quickclean but I'll order some. I read a article about my sho that Yamaha put out that said higher octane increased hp and mileage but that's a sho I have noticed sutt build up on both engines which I was told was carbon that's why I had posted. The dealer I bought the sho from told me the sutt was oil the rings were not set but not gaining or losing oil in either motor and plugs look fine
    2023 ranger 198p

12. Banned
    The manual says something to this effect, if it is not identical. Italics added.

"FUEL RATINGS
    Mercury Marine engines will operate satisfactorily when using a major brand of unleaded gasoline meeting the following
    specifications:

USA and Canada ‑ having a posted pump Octane Rating of 87 (R+M)/2 minimum. Premium gasoline [92 (R+M)/2 Octane] is
    also acceptable. Do not use leaded gasoline."

You can always use gasoline with a higher octane rating but try and stay away from gasoline with less octane. Also, keep in mind that the octane rating can diminish as the gasoline ages.